Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 705 G3 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This machine has proven to be a challenge.  I had reached my last item to check off and it has stopped me in my tracks.  I went to install HyperV and it installed and asked to reboot.  On reboot, it sits at the HP Sure Start screen for an extended period of time, and then comes up with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" (BSOD-Win10). 

If I go into UEFI and disable "SVM CPU Virtualization", the machine starts up, but as expected, the hypervisor can't start since Virtualization is disabled in UEFI.  If I shutdown and enable "SVM CPU Virtualization", we repeat the same scenario.

I'm leaning toward a BIOS issue here, but has anyone else experienced this with AMD processors (HP or other)?    All of that said, I'm open to any ideas or words of wisdom.

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I have a couple of things to add on this.  First, this machine is in full UEFI mode and does have RAID enabled.  No issues with configuration (until HyperV is introduced).  I enabled the boot log and here is what happens:

1) HyperV Not Installed, SVM Disabled - System boots without issue

2) HyperV Not Installed, SVM Enabled - System boots without issue

3) HyperV enabled, SVM Disabled - System boots without issue, ntbtlog (Windows bootlog) is created.

4) HyperV enabled, SVM Enabled - System does not boot, ntbtlog is not updated (no entries)

On the last one, I'm left with observation only.  The system starts its boot, but then quickly seems to "hang" (spinning status indicator).  This takes 2-3 minutes and then you get "INACCESSBILE_BOOT_DEVICE".  If you start again (SVM still enabled), you are brought to a recovery screen), you can't do anything there but shutdown.   If you go into UEFI and disable SVM - system boots right up.  Thought that process, the only ntbtlog entry is the successful boot - there is no other activity.

For me, I can't wrap my head around why HyperV being installed interupts the boot processs AND no ntbtlog is created - either it is booting or it isn't.

Also - WIndows is completely patched, no other software installed (new install).  System is otherwise stable, no Device Manager exceptions, etc.

Thanks for anything you might be able to add (or something to try that I haven't thought of).

HP Recommended

I have an update for anyone that has been working with these 705 G3 Ryzen 5/7 units for testing with HyperV.  Originally I had FW 2.07, and this did not work with HyperV on Windows Server 2012 or 2016.  I recently tried to setup Windows Server 2019 and much to my surprise everything worked and worked well.  After using the server for testing, installing all updates, and drivers, I did one last thing - installed FW 2.25.  The system wouldn't boot.  Ugh....back to the same old issue, the unit will not boot to with this FW installed.

I went through some testing, and much to my surprise, I installed FW 2.08 and it worked.  I installed 2.15 and 2.16 - they both worked.  I then installed 2.17 and it failed to boot again.  In looking at two machines I could not find any remarkable items in BIOS that were added enabled/disabled (and I tried a lot of diffent configurations).  This morning I updated a Window 10 Pro Ryzen 7 705 G3 with the 2.25 FW and was fine (this was expected). The only remarkable observation that I can offer is that the 2.16 FW is running AMD Agesa 1.0.0.5, but the 2.25 FW goes back to the 1.0.0.4 version (which does impact memory and processor support).  I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but that was the only remarkable difference I could identify.

Ironically, on any of these units I can't install the Ryzen Master utility - it says that it is "PROHIBITED" for installation on these HP boxes - neither HP or AMD can (or will) provide a reason why.  I only mention that because I was hoping it might provide more insight as to the differences as seen from the OS with the two different firmware versions installed on two identical boxes (FW version being the one difference).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.