Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, my name is Alex from Holland, and I have another novice question but I hope this helps another novice person like me!

I have the computer mentioned in the title and I want to use a monitor that has only DVI.

According to the specification on the Internet( URL below), my computer supports DVI as well as VGA; "DVI and VGA ports (Use of both the VGA and DVI ports at the same time is supported)"

But when I go to tbe back of the computer, then what I believe DVI port is covered by a plastic cap and says "DO NOT REMOVE." and it seems the screws used there are not a regular screws but special screws that has a shape of pentagon.

Does this mean I am really indeed not supposed to open, and need a special screw from HP or something? What happens if I managed to open it? Can I indeed use the DVI? Or is the capability of DVI made unavailable/muted?

I would appreciate it very much if someone could teach me this seemingly-basic things about computer hardware.

[SPECIFICATION URL]

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03227446&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

Thank you so very much,

Yours,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Based on your photo, the discrete graphics card has both HDMI and DVI-I outputs. You can use both the HDMI and DVI monitors natively and you can use a VGA monitor on the DVI-I port using a DVI-to-VGA adapter (dongle).

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

According to the specs, this model has integrated graphics (DVI and VGA) which have been disabled do to the inclusision of a discrete graphics card. The plastic covers are to prevent you from using the disabled outputs. Please use the discrete video outputs on the installed graphics card.

Video graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6450•Interface: PCI Express x16
•1 GB onboard memory
Integrated Graphics *Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
•Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards
•DVI and VGA ports (Use of both the VGA and DVI ports at the same time is supported)

Frank

***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you very much for the quick reply!

This computer indeed has a graphic card which offers VGA and HDMI output.

So is my understanding correct that with this computer I can not use a monitor with DVI, unless I add a DVI graphic card in one of those empty slots?

Thank you again in advance,

Alex

HP Recommended

Please post a photo of the rear of the computer (including the graphics card outputs). You should be able to use an HDMI-to-DVI cable or adapter to connect the computer to a monitor. DVI and HDMI share signaling protocols, so merely adapting the connect should work without issue.

Frank

HP Recommended

Overview Photo

Hello, thank you very much for your additional reply to my question! And I am sorry it took a while to get back to you with those photos. I hope these photos clarifies  my questions and explanation better than my attempt in my texts.

Thank you very much in advance,

Alex in Holland

HP Recommended

Based on your photo, the discrete graphics card has both HDMI and DVI-I outputs. You can use both the HDMI and DVI monitors natively and you can use a VGA monitor on the DVI-I port using a DVI-to-VGA adapter (dongle).

Frank

HP Recommended

Thank you for your great help again!

I will get the suggested DVI-to-VGA adapter (dongle) immediately!! 🙂 🙂

Alex from Holland

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.