cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PittsburghFan19
Level 1
3 2 0 4
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Recovery Manager Blocked After Windows 10 Upgrade

HP Recommended
Envy TouchSmart 20-d030xt
Other

Yesterday, after upgrading my computer to Windows 10 the Recovery Manger is now blocked. It wasn't that way before I upgraded. I have a feeling that the OS might have changed my security settings. (For example, when I try to change someting in my Pictures folder, UAC pops up) Does anyone know how I can get Win10 to unblock Recovery Manager?

13 REPLIES 13
Maggie00
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The same things has happened to me.

0 Kudos
Harik
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same here....I found after some searching that in Windows 10 you can revert back to previous sytem (Windows 7 in my case) withing 30 days if thats what you are trying to do.  I cant recall exact path but it was in the system backup/recovery area in Control Panel or you may be able to search on the MS site.

0 Kudos
93ben
Level 2
10 10 1 7
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfornately the same thing happened to me. There has to be a fix.

0 Kudos
93ben
Level 2
10 10 1 7
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just did a bit of looking and found this...test.png

Could it be because the certificate has been revoked and Windows 10's tougher security protocols?

PittsburghFan19
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 4
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's what it looks like.

0 Kudos
93ben
Level 2
10 10 1 7
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok I found a fix. It was the certificate.

What you need to do is:

1. Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery Manager" in file explorer.

2. Right click on Rebecca.exe (Recovery Program) and click "copy".

3. Paste it on your desktop.

4. Unzip this download http://www.fluxbytes.com/software-releases/fileunsigner-v1-0/

5. Drag your copied version of Rebecca.exe onto FileUnsigner.exe

6. Right click on Rebecca.exe on the desktop and click "copy".

7. Paste it back into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery Manager" and say yes to replacing it with existing file.

8. Search "HP Recovery Manager", click on it and a prompt will come up, click "yes" and it should open. 🙂

You can repeat this for other programs that are blocked. It basically removes the outdated certificate that is preventing it to open in Windows 10.

PittsburghFan19
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 4
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information. I got the program to work.

0 Kudos
Cyberschmu
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Absolutely Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks....  Millions of other suggestions were useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  🙂

0 Kudos
Cyberschmu
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Absolutely Brilliant!!!!!  Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation