Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you, removing the Hyper-V bridges helped.

HP Recommended

@joeHP_ wrote:

@BOB289 wrote:

Had same problem.  I found out that I had installed Hyper-V and set a virtual network adapter that was preventing support assistant from connecting.  After removing the Hyper-V adapter - support assistant worked fine.  Just something to try.  Hope this helps.

True. I removed the "External Virtual Switch" and HP Support Assistant worked fine.
After recreating the "External Virtual Switch", HP Support Assistant it stopped connecting to the internet...
I didn't mark your reply as Solution in the hope HP would release a fix.
Thank you

It seems to be a problem for the HP Support Assistant unable to detect Internet after enable External Virtual Switch in Windows 10 Hyper-V manager.

HP Recommended

@SNUSA wrote:

Found the fix.....  Hope it works for you.

Incorrect bridge setup in windows networking was the underlying issue.

(Thanks to a prior post here I remembered something strange about how I had bridged the adapters years ago after adding vEtherenet to get wifi.)

Step #1 (while you still have internet)

Update to the latest support assistant here: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/pl...

Install & reboot.

Step #2

Remove all network bridges. (loose internet)

Recreate network bridge  by selecting/using both WIFI and the stanadard ETHERNET connection.  (and not the vEthernet)

Everything is still enabled, I still have vEthernet setup but no bridge to it.  Prior to this, the internet worked OK over wifi with the occasiona (2x a wee?) necessity to "reset adapter" needed to establish web connection.  Maybe this fixes that issue too?  Time will tell....

Now all is well with the HP Support assistant version 8.3.34.7

(Before fixing, the HP internet diagnostics tool was still finding the internet and indicating there were no problems, but the update part of the app was not connecting to servers.)

My VM cannot access Internet from my virtual network adapter if I removed vEthernet from the Network Bridge. I still think it is the bug in the HP Support Assistant tool !

HP Recommended

I'm really starting to wonder if HP is basicly trying to tell their customers a FU after being their products. Maybe that is way my company has moved away from buying HP, even after my protest to do so.

Drivers for slightly older laptops are not updated, even though they are strong enough to work, eg HP 8560

Now the Support Assist problems when you are using Hyper-V, a build-in function since Windows 8. And apparenlty HP just shrugs their shoulders.

The new lenovos my company switched to have no issues in this regard, how must I convince my company to switch back to HP... even when I'm loosing feith in HP's support. Why must I spend money and invest in a HP product when drivers might become an issue or software might not work on new os's...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.