Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Thin Client t520
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I'm trying to recover my ThinClient to it's orinial state with Win10 on board.

I downloaded the latest HP ThinUpdate tool and it simply doesn't work (have someone from HP tried it?)

When try to create an USB stick it creates two primary partitions and then uploads some boot stuff on the first one and then gives "Error code: 1" and that's it... it doesn't copy anything on the second PRIMARY partition which is of course inaccessible from windows. So I've managed to make it visible using some hacks and copying all stuf from IBR image to that second partition but it doesn't work anyway, ThinClient boots into windows setup tool and then stops saying something like "destitionation could not be found" in a shell window.

Okay I tried another method "ISO Creation" in the same HP ThinUpdate tool... it stucks at "Copying ver ..." and sists in that condition for ever. Doesn't create any files anywhere.

So has this tool ever worked?

Thank a lot.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I may have a solution for you. I was working with some t520s this week and not having much success with the thinupdate tool on my computer. How I fixed it:

Use the install addons feature from your computer to create the installer for thinupdate on the t520

(Assuming you have access to admin on the thin client)

Install thinupdate on the thin client, then use it on the thin client to create the usb.

Once it finishes creating it will ask you if you want to update your thin client, at which point it will install itself from the usb.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I get the same error... Tried to start als administrator, new USB stick (16GB), redownloaded the *.ibr file. But still no luck.

HP.PNG

HP Recommended

How old is the disk-drive inside the computer?  Maybe, a year or two "beyond" the original warranty ???

It is possible that the "target" disk-drive has gone "bad", and "error code -1" is produced when the "installer" program cannot write to the disk-drive.

If you have another disk-drive, that is "known-good" or "brand-new", connect it into the target computer, and try installing  onto it. If it works, your computer will be "back in business" right away.

Then, at your leisure, take the removed disk-drive, and attach it as a "secondary" disk-drive in a desktop computer.

Delete all existing partitions on it -- not on your "primary" disk-drive, of course --- and create one partition.

Then FORMAT that partition, while NOT selecting the "quick-format" option.

This "long" formatting will write all over the disk-drive -- this could take a few hours.

Any failures will tell you that the disk-drive is "bad", and that you were wise to replace it. :Wink:

HP Recommended

Thnx for replying. 

I have solved the problem. My colleague gives me the tip to try it on another OS. So I have installed a virtual machine (Virtual Box for the USB pass through) with Windows 7 and installed the tool. Now it works directly without an error.

Conclussion, don't use Windows 10 with HP ThinUpdate. And HP, fix this in Windows 10 please 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi erveryone,

I have "fixed" it with a workaround (ThinPro):

1. Create an USB Stick with ThinUpdate (Windows) run into Error Code 1
2. Save the settings.ini from this USB Stick
3. Crate an USB Stick with ThinState from a ThinClient
4. Copy the saved settings.ini to this USB Stick.

Now you have an USB Stick where you can put any image you want to and select it frm the USB Stick.

Regards
Alexander

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.