Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP dvd1040 external dvd rom that is not recognized by my PC or Laptop.  It worked good all along, until now. I was wondering if drivers are missing and that is causing the problem?  If so where could I download ...free? Help would be appreciated,

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Have to love the complete lack of support by HP on ther own support forums.

They're almost as bad as Microsoft. Once they have the money, you cease to exist.

I have a similar issue. After a recent update my Microsuck, my optical drives (Both HP models) ceased to function. The bios recognizes them by name, as does the Device Manager, yet neither will work. Device Manager claims the drivers are outdated/missing, yet Windows 7 cannot update/replace the drivers.

Does anyone have an idea of how to get them working again?

HP Recommended

Windows only:

The OS should load generic drivers allowing read-only of dvd or cd. xp or 7 should auto-load generic drivers allowing burning without 3rd party sw. Have you done some disk cleanup of drivers you never thought you'd need?

I simply need a download of the nero 7 that came with MY 1040d, and voila! No support page. **bleep**...? This drive is NOT that old. You guys happen to have the nero disk that came with your 1040d, maybe make me an iso?

Make sure the drive is enabled in the bios, power and flat cable are good (I have to replace power extender/splitters all the time. Thank heaven for sata. 80-conductor flats I hate, though they're faster). Almost all opticals show momentary light at pc power on. No? Check it out.  GH

HP Recommended

Ooooops...!  Here's the url. Alas, no drivers.

1040d Support page

Today's lesson is mighty important, remember...  Never deinstall a driver from device manager absent a new system checkpoint, or driver disk immediately handy. gh

HP Recommended

I need a firmware for dvd1040 or I need the driver (not MS driver) 

HP Recommended

I would think Linux, for example, would have generic drivers that would work at least minimally, but an OS reinstall might be required to get the search/test interrogation that would lead to installation of the correct driver.

I still have an old dell e510 that came with a burner that went to readonly outside of the dell factory XP install. I THINK it might burn using an old dos boot version of ghost now, but it is readonly aside from that.

So these opticals can be tempermental. Factory systems can contain burners that become useless if you go to another OS, etc. Pain in the...

'Sounds like you need a boot-capable ide optical burner, pci controller card not an option. They're pretty cheap to buy, and you can go to the mfgr's website to see what os's each drive supports. Why waste time looking for drivers, firmware...?

HP Recommended

I had virus and had harddrive scrubbed....need software to get dvd1040 working again

HP Recommended

Not worth the trouble. Scrap that old pc.You are wasting time equivalent to the value of a new system many times over as the weeks go by.

Get Paragon, Acronis or some other clone-capable software. Get a second hard-disk and periodically clone your working hard-disk to it in case of catastrophe. Keep the clone in a desk drawer, not on a system. This is in ADDITION to backing up your work files. When disaster strikes, remove the main drive, add the clone. You are back in business, but have a tech decontaminate the bad drive from virus, keep it off your system till virus-free. Tech can be avoided if you have the right software, knowledge and skills. Last step is restoring your backed up work files.  Gordon

HP Recommended

"Not worth the trouble. Scrap that old pc. You are wasting time equivalent to the value of a new system many times over as the weeks go by."

You're assuming he has the cash available to buy a new system, and that the system he has is a prebuilt rather than something he built himself. That 1040 was available from many places as an OEM part for DIY builds. That's how I got both of mine, from Newegg. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827140025)

To 1011sl,

I eventually got windows to recognize mine again, as I eventually found the Nero software disk that was mentioned earlier in the thread. I would definitely try to find that, or otherwise try to obtain a copy. 

I don't know if the trial version of the newest Nero software would work, or if the shareware/adware versions of Nero 7, etc.. would work either. Looking at the disk I have, there are installation instructions for the actual drive itself, which I would imagine are absent in the non HP branded versions of Nero. You will likely need the actual install disk itself.

HP Recommended

Still having trouble with your 1040 optical drive?

Still using Windows XP?

Let me know:[Personal Information Removed]

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.