Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP PAVILION ELITE HPE H8-1206
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

My computer is inaccessible, because HP fooled me with false information.

How can I reset BIOS in a HP PAVILION ELITE HPE H8-1206?

Background:

A couple of days ago I tried to use the integrated graphics, because of problem with the amd radeon card.
BEFORE I changed the BIOS settings I checked this HP support page:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02854392

At the bottom of that page HP support page it describes how to Clear the CMOS settings, for "HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, IPISB-CH2 (Chicago)"

Ok I thought, so if changing the bios setting makes the computer inaccessible, then I can reset BIOS with the instructions on that HP support page. Fine.

I changed the bios setting, and the computer went inaccessible...

And when I was going to reset BIOS it turnes out that the HP support instructions are incorrect.
Screen dump from HP support page:

hp-false-info_Clearing-the-CMOS-settings_600.png
(those instructions seems to be for another motherboard)

Link to image:

http://i.imgur.com/XGrRDhQ.png

So there are two problems:
- HP intructions for resetting BIOS is incorrect.

- My computer is inaccessible, because HP fooled me with false information.

How can we solve this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DonVerner

Hi,

The below image indicates the normal position for the clear CMOS and Password jumpers.

Chicago CMOS jumpers.jpg

The ROM recovery jumper should not be messed with as specialize equipment is required.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Big_Dave,

thank you for your response.

What is the correct procedure clearing the cmos settings?

I have to reset bios because I can't come into bios nor start windows (screen is blank). The bios settings for integrated graphic card is set to enabled and primary, and the integrated card does not work, there is no signal out of the integrated dvi ports. And the amd radeon card does not work since bios is set to use the integrated graphics.

So, how clear the CMOS settings so I can get into bios settings?

Note:
the current jumper positions (=factory setting) is:

rom-recovery-jumper-IPISB-CH2.jpg

Edit:

since the image does not show when not logged in... here is a link to the image:

http://i.imgur.com/u7Y8Yec.jpg

HP Recommended

@Big_Dave wrote:

The ROM recovery jumper should not be messed with as specialize equipment is required.

Do you know how to reset BIOS on this machine? Can you share that information?

My computer is inaccessible because of a BIOS setting, so I would really appreciate some help.

I'm aware of the "specialized equipment" so that will be no problem.

HP Recommended

Is it impossible to get that information or what?
Who is the IPISB-CH2 motherboard manufacturer? They should know, if it isn't HP.

HP Recommended

Now it's solved, BIOS is reset to default settings and computer is accessible. How did I do that? I ripped out the cmos battery with a hack saw while the computer was still running, waited ten minutes while I washed the inside of the computer with a pressure washer. Then I put the battery back with a sledge hammer while singing "born in the usa".

The computer is accessible but the original issue still reamins:

to get a new SILENT video card that actually is COMPATIBLE with this hp computer. Luckily this is not my primary computer anymore so it's not a critical issue. But that issue is not for this thread.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.