Note on archived topics.
04-18-2012 05:54 PM
I own a HP keyboard and some of the keys show BLUE characters, symbols and numbers....When I attempt to type in a website address using the backslash I always get the alternate BLUE character instead of the backslash....How do I make the keyboard only use the normal characters.
04-18-2012 08:32 PM
I found this forum talking about a possible solution. You can try it
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
04-18-2012 08:33 PM
Please ensure you have the right keyboard layout selected. Refer the following weblink for procedure:
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
08-11-2012 09:37 PM - edited 08-09-2014 10:29 AM
Permanent and Temporary Solutions here!!! Click Kudos if you like these
Solution 1 - Permanent OFF (windows 7)
- Go to Start menu > Devices and Printers
- Right click on HP Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Kit (yours may have slightly different name)
- Left click on Region and Language
- Left click on Change Keyboards button
- Under General tab go to > Default Input Language section > select English (Canada)-US
- Under General tab, now go to > Installed Services section > Keyboard heading > click on item for Canadian French then click the Remove button on the right,
- Repeat step 6 to remove line item Canadian Multilingual Standard
- Click Apply button at the bottom of window, then click OK button to get out of the window, click OK to get out of final window
- Close your Devices and Printers window and you are done FOREVER with the unwanted characters! :)
Solution 2 - Temporary toggle between special/normal characters
If it's like mine, the default keyboard setting requires you to do the following:
press hold left ctrl+shift, then tap right shift key, this should toggle between the special characters and back to the normal characters when steps are repeated.
This is probably done accidentally by people and that's why it's driving everyone crazy :)
Note: sometimes I find it doesn't work on first try and have to try a couple of times, sometimes have to press the right shift key twice!! weird but works
Click Kudos if you like these solutions! Thanks