Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I just bought the HP Envy 700QE desktop from Costco.  I did find the guide about this desktop/tower (www.nhangraphic.com/HP-Envy-700QE-Upgrade.pdf) but nothing is mention about how to install/config the additional 16Gb Disk Caching SSD.  I really want to have this to improve the performance of the desktop.   Could someone please help me how to add/install and full config 16Gb Disk Caching SSD for this HP Envy 700QE Desktop step by step? Thanks in advance.

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If it works for you then you are good.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

The link that you posted is dead.

Please post the HP product number and operating system for your PC so that the members of the community can better assist you with your questions and issues.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave, I just updated the working link which hosted on my private name.

I wonder does my HY Envy 700QE is same specs info as http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03983810 ? and does it has motherboard of Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology)

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

It's best to post the HP product number that is associated with your PC.

HP Product Number

HP Recommended

Ok Dave, I will provide the HP number once I get back home from work today.

I just found one article on the internet (http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/), does this step to step is correct?

By the way, this is the desktop I bought from Costco (http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100077253/hewlett-packard-hp-envy-700qe-desktop-intel-core-i7-4gb-gra...

What is the correct SSD drive should I buy for to use disk caching?

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

I was already reviewing that article when you posted it. lol  It's a very good article and the followup up comments and questions are excellent.

You might look over the cost differential between 16GB and 64GB (max size allowed).

HP Recommended

Dave,

You are right, that article is good to follow if you say so.

But the questions are:

1) Do you think my motherboard is has Intel RST to use Disk Caching SSD?

2) what kind and/or correct SSD should I get? does it need to be specific model or version number of SSD I need to look for?

3) What step it need to do in Bio setting do I need? once the SSD pluged into motherboard.

4) What else...it need? 🙂

HP Recommended

Frank,

If I was going after SSD performance, then I would hedge my bets by buying a SSD that is large enough to run all of my software with some room for high performance data access.

You might need to disable secure boot in the bios when installing the SSD  or mstata as a caching device and then reenabled it later.  You still need to follow the recommendations posted on the Pudget Sound article.

Since the Costco configurator shows a msata option and the motherboard has the Intel Z87 chipset then it's quite likey that msata disk caching is supported.  Again, post the HP product number so that better research can be conducted.  Was your PC delivered with Windows 8.1?

HP Recommended

Yes, they sold the Windows 8.1 / 64Bit for my desktop.  Currently it's running on 1TB Sata Hard Drive.  So you are saying that I should be the SSD to use for just Disk Caching only correct? I don't need to clone or transfer contens from 1TB Sata Hard Drive over. I just need to have the disk caching from SSD. 

Sorry for this silly question, does mSata is same term with "SSD" ? or it's different item I need to buy instead of "SSD"?

Per article:

Setting up an SSD cache is very easy as long as the following requirements are met:

1.     The chipset supports Intel Smart Response Technology
  2.     A traditional primary hard drive
  3.     A secondary SSD drive
  4.     The SATA controller must be set to RAID mode (no arrays need to be configured)
  5.     The Intel RST software must be installed.

For #4, do I need to follow this step? if so how to do it?

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

mSATA is just a mini-onboard SATA connector where a small circuit board (msata device) can be inserted.  Typically it's used as a way with small form factor devices to add SSD like performance.

You can change the SATA controller mode from the default AHCI setting to RAID in the bios.  Use Computer Setup to enter the bios. Tapping the ESC key right after power on the PC should bring up a menu selection.

If you run into problems then let us know.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.