Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to install a Samsung 850  Pro SSD on my HP Z820 but the slots are all too big.

I understand I need to install a dock  (ICY dock) or bracket

Does this have to be an HP branded on or a generic one.

If it has to be HP, what's the part number.

If generic, what brand name should I use and where can I source it?

Thanks in advance

vinnyvince

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Vinny,

At the top of the forum pages is a little box that says "Search HP Forum" and if you type in your search question that box will search in this forum only..... your answers are in here.

I have posted here about my favorite adapters to accomplish what you need.  With the xw workstations and some of the less expensive Z workstations the generic 2.5 to 3.5" form factor converters work fine because those workstations have wire slack to let you shift the SATA data/power ports more to the center of the drive carrier space.  Not so with the Z800/Z600/Z620/Z820 workstations which use the "BlindMate" Foxconn SATA form factor converters to take a 2.5" form factor drive/ssd and shift the ports to the left (when viewed from rear) to exactly match the positioning of a true 3.5" drive.  Here is a picture of my favorite one, a HP device:

HP SSD asapter.JPG

The upper black part you see accepts the SSD and the lower black SATA power/data ports unit is shifted to the left and exactly mates with the Foxconn BlindMate female sockets built into the back of the workstation case for the drive carrier drawers to plug into.  The net result at the rear end of the drive drawer is exactly that of a 3.5" SATA hard drive.

For some reason HP is pushing the very expensive "tool less" version of this metal device.  It has exactly the same Foxconn interface (BlindMate revision 2).  There is a glut of the HP screwdriver-requiring versions on eBay.  I have bought 20 at a time from China from one source, they are Foxconn made, and have the HP part number 654540-001.  There are US-located eBay sources for these at about $8.00 each..... search eBay under "HP 2.5" to 3.5" SATA".  You want to use 4 M3 short screws to secure the SSD thru the 4 little vertical metal tabs, and hopefully they'll send those to you.

Insertion of whatever you choose to use into the plastic HP drive drawers is fiddly..... get one of the 4 mount pins in place at the front of the drawer while the drive is tilted, and work your way around the plastic springy pin-holding arms, which you don't want to break in the process.

Another excellent 2.5 to 3.5 form factor converter is the Western Digital IcePack.  I have settled on the HP device instead because they're HP, lighter, more than strong enough, and about 1/2 the price on eBay.  The much heavier IcePack, which seem to be going for about $20.00 on eBay, have their 4 M3 screws come up thru the bottom.  These act as a heat sink also, but SSDs run cool, and the HP device is well vented.  IcePack pic:

WD IcePack.JPG

Finally, if you really don't like tools and 4 M3 screws, and want to spend $140.00 list price here is the 668261-001.... note the nice springy black plastic 2.5" SSD holder, which slides into the otherwise near-identical metal converter.  You release the SSD holder by squeezing in on the curved black plastic tabs at the top of the pic, and slide it out:

668261-001.JPG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.