Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Media Smart Server
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I have recently upgraded my Vista O.S. to Windows 7, 64 bit professional on my HP Pavalion PC at home. I tried to re-install my HP media Smart Server model name 490/495 on the new windows 7 professional using the Software Installation Disks Version 1.1 that came with the Media Smart Server (copyright 2007), however I got this error message:

"You cannot install HP Media Smart Server on this version of windows".

Please note that I have a wireless LAN at home, and I have connected the media smart server through an ethernet cable to the PC. 

I then connected the media smart server by ethernet cable to the wireless modem, and again tried to install the media smart server using the on line sources. This time I was successfull in installing the home server partially, as when it was trying to install the Home Server connector I got the following messages:

"Joining windows Home server" OK

"Configuring Computer back up" failed

then it asked me to go back or cancel. I tried going back several times but it stopped with the same error message"Configuring Computer back up" failed. So I canceled. Now I can only read from the media Smart Server, but I do not have any other controls such as editing, etc.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Shima1,

I'm not the best Media Smart Server expert, but have you tried the steps in this HP support document:

HP MediaSmart Server - Process to get the Microsoft Vista 64-bit Client Software Installed 

I know that is for Vista and you have Win 7, but the steps may be similar and worth a check. 

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Mister_DO,

Thank you for your hint. I tried the link you had mentioned, however I got the "wrong URL Address" message. If possible please send me the correct link. I would like to give it a try.

Thanks, 

HP Recommended

Hmmm...I'm not sure why it would give that message. Oh well, here is the link text so yoiu can copy it to your browser:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01506562

I hope this helps. 

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.