Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Compaq Elite 8300 SSF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have HP Compaq Elite 8300 SSF with Processor i5-3470 and 8GB RAM. The machine has 240 W power supplier and I just wonder if anybody actually upgraded this model with GPU above.

I read many posts about this and I know 240W in theory is not enough for those cards, however somebody mentioned he successfully put GTC 750 Ti (of course low profile) and the PC was working without any problems.

Could somebody share its experience with this configuration?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

That is very unlikely.

I get that you are trying to get a lot of bang for the buck, but using an entry-level small form factor PC is a poor choice to upgrade. You are not the first to consider trying it and I suspect, from experience that you won't be the last. Do a search in the forum with the words upgrade , SFF, PSU, and video card in it. You will be surprised at how many people were disappointed at perhaps their first try at upgrading with a SFF (small form factor) entry level productivity PC.

The PC's case and proprietary PSU makes this a non-viable upgrade project.

You should look at finding an entry-level PC that with a duo or quad core PC and a standard ATX case.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

I understand your point and I've already searched on forums. I also have Elite 8200 Micro Tower with PSU 320W, however the 8300 is newer generation and I like it much more as is smaller. Do you think I can swap motherboard between the models? I read somewhere, in SSF models motherboard power on PCIe is limited to 25W - is it true? In this case swapping wouldn’t make any sense.

It is interesting why in small laptop with smaller PSU you can find better GPU and you can for quite big SFF.....

HP Recommended

Actually, I’ve found the source for limiting PCIe power to 35W (page 14)

http://shop.itema-pg.com/userfiles/editor/file/HPCompaqElite8300BusinessPCDec2012.pdf

Is it motherboard settings or PSU? If I will swap motherboards will this limit still apply? Can I change settings to increase the power to 75W?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.