Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I want to know can i upgrade my Omni 100-5200z PC. I do a lot of video editing and having tons of problems. I currently have n AMD Athalon II 170u 2.0 ghz processor but I need either a dual core or multi core. Can I upgrade, if so with what and is thisa something i can do myself Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Storm99,

Daniel made an assumption, unhappily all wrong.

There are only 3 CPU's for that machine, all 25W. See your system specs here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02822223

The max would be the Athlon II 270u (Regor) (25W) 2.0 GHz

PS> you power supply is only 90W.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Here is a link to a website with information about different CPU's:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon%20II%20170u%20-%20AD170UEAK13GM.html

You have to be careful with upgrading CPUs because the manufacturer often puts particular hardware in the system because of the processor chosen for the motherboard. In general, you should be able to replace the CPU with another CPU that is designed to work in the same "socket". The AMD Athlon II 170u runs in AM2 or AM3 motherboards. This link also gives several other CPUs that use the same socket, and as you can see there are several dual and quad core near the bottom.

Changing it is not too difficult, especially with a desktop. You have to be very careful about things like static electricity and such. Processors are very sensitive to it and you can easily damage it putting it in.

I can give you more of a step by step, but it may end up being easier for you to find a good electronics store, like Fry's if you have one around. If you buy the processor from one of their stores, they will typically seat it for you on the motherboard for little or nothing. Plus they would be able to give you some more specific direction on what processor you may or may not want with the system you have.
HP Recommended

Storm99,

Daniel made an assumption, unhappily all wrong.

There are only 3 CPU's for that machine, all 25W. See your system specs here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02822223

The max would be the Athlon II 270u (Regor) (25W) 2.0 GHz

PS> you power supply is only 90W.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank You very much for the quick response. Going to see where to buy one and how difficult to install. Hopefully I will be able to edit my videos then.

HP Recommended

storm99,

This is why the forums are so important. I was pleased to assist you in your inquiry.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

can i put a quad core processor in my hp omni 100 pc?

HP Recommended
Hello stryker_1972,

There is about 12 different models of the HP Omni 100 series, but I don't think it's going to matter much as to which one you have as I do believe they all only support up to dual core. I didn't check every single one, but I checked an early one, a late series one and a mid one and they all supported dual core only.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.