Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Z400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I own hp z400 intel xeon w3550, from the very first day i am getting error 517 a low powered heatsink detected on high power cpu. Kindly help me to solve out that issue.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You have a double posting of your question...... 

Sounds like someone may have put in a hotter processor than what your Z400 came with originally from HP.  I'd bet you have the original lower performance heatsink/fan that came with the original lower performance processor.

There are two official heatsinks for the Z400..... the "Mainstream" and the "Performance".  Mainstream can properly cool the lower performance processors for that workstation (up to and including 95W max TDP, but when you get up into the 130W max TDP processors like your W3550 the motherboard will recognize from the fan's wiring that you have a mainstream and not a performance heatsink/fan attached.

You can google Z400 heatsink and also see a bunch of those on eBay with that search string.  The surface area is bigger, there are 3 instead of 2 heat tubes, and the fan is bigger.  Cost off eBay is about 35.00 USD. 

You can spoof the wiring on a mainstream to mimic that of a performance, but that's probably not wise unless you watch closely your temps and don't plan ot push the processor hard.  Considering the 35.00 cost I'd strongly recommend doing it right rather than spoofing.  However, you do seem to be getting away with it so far...... You can see how the Performance fans are wired a bit differently from what you probably have.  They both use the same white fan plug end but for the Performance there is a ground jumper from socket 1 to socket 5, whereas for the mainstream the first 4 sockets are populated (ground, 12VDC, RPM sense, PWM throttle), but the 5th socket is empty.  The ground jumper is the spoof on that.  There is another type of spoof for the xw8600 Performance fans.....

Of interest, I believe the mainstream heatsink/fan for the Z400 and Z600 are identical, but for the Z600 if you need a performance heatsink/fan on CPU0 then that is a different one..... the Z400 performance one will not fit against the memory fan shroud of the Z600 for socket 0, but it will fit the Z600's second socket if you bend a thin air deflector plate on the rear down vertical.  I'm working on a Z400 and Z600 project right now, so have access to both on the bench.  Those have same socket type.

There are other posts in here on these fans and the differences... use the search box for Performance. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.