cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tmleonardi Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion model a6712f that I would like to upgrade from windows vista to a newer OS.

Pavillion a6712f
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I believe that I cannot upgrade directly to Windows 10, and the free upgrade to windows 7 is not available any longer.  I am wondering if it tis worth it to go ahead and upgrade to windows 7 and then to windows 10?

Thank You,

Tom

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Dean
Dean
11,617 11,017 575 1,629
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion model a6712f that I would like to upgrade from windows vista to a newer OS.

your computer (6GB RAM, dual-core 2.5 Ghz CPU) is "beefy" enough to upgrade.

How old is the disk-drive?  Vista was released in 2007.  So, your disk-drive could be almost 10 years old.

Would you drive an automobile with ten-year-old, almost-bald, tires?

I suggest that you replace the disk-drive, i.e., install a newer version of Windows onto it,

and reattach the "old" disk-drive as a "slave" drive, and copy your files from "old" to "new".

Do you have the Installation Media and a license-key to install Windows 7?

It's no longer available through "retail" channels.

It's not necessary to upgrade to Windows 7 as an "intermediate" step to get to Windows 10 -- you can download Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10  and install it *without* entering a product-key, to install a "short-term-trial" version.  After installing, open "Device Manager" to see if all the correct device-drivers have been installed.  If not, try Windows Update, to see if those "missing" device-drivers can be installed.

If Windows 10 works for you, then purchase a license-key and "activate" Windows.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation