Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I recently was given a HP Pavilion a1214n  computer. Windows XP was installed on it. I removed XP and installed Windows 7.  Everything went well  The computer worked fine with no problems.

Yesterday when I started the machine I was unable to get online. Going to device manager I saw that the network adapter (Intel Pro/100VE network connection) was unable to start. ( code 10).

Going to properties I saw that the drivers were still installed. Clicking on "update driver software" and searching automatically, I got the message "The best driversoftware for you device is already installed". So I disabled/enabled the device, still didn't work. I restarted the machine...still no internet connection. I unistalled/installed the device and got the message " unable to install device" . I hooked up a wireless usb adapter, was able to get online and went to Intel support and downloaded, installed, and ran any drvers, utlities I could find. Still nothing.

I deleted any files I downloaded  ran Malwarebytes and Avast antivirus (boot time scan) found some PUPs (nothing serious) and removed them. Restarted the machine.  Still no connection via the Intel pro/100 VE network connection. 

I unistalled the device and before the computer could recognize and re-install it I restarted the machine and Its working fine.

So my questios are

What would cause an intermittent adatper failure, what should I do if this occurs again. 

Here is some more info

Adapter hardware ids

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_2A22103C&REV_01

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_2A22103C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&CC_0200

Thank You for you help

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have attached the away mode driver you need to install (under attachments).

Manually install it by using the same install method I posted above.

You will not need 7-zip for this.  Just download it and unzip it.

I don't know why the W7 driver isn't working.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would try manually installing the Vista drivers 32 or 64 bit as applicable.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18718

Download but don't run the above driver.

Download and install this free file utility.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7 Zip, right click on the driver file you downloaded and select the 7-zip option from the menu.

Select Extract to: and I let it extract the file to the folder name of the file.

After the driver folder is created, go to the device manager and click on the ethernet controller needing drivers.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software and browse to the driver folder 7-zip created.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way and if it works better than the one you had.

HP Recommended

Marc, welcome to the forum.

Did you run Win 7 Upgrade Advisor before upgrading to Win 7 to assure that all of the components in the computer are compatible with Win 7?  Since the computer is almost 9 years old this is a possibility.

If it were me, I would use a USB wireless adapter or install a new PCI wireless adapter.  Older technology doesn't always play nice with new.

Please click the " Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response. I followed your instructions and after updating the driver using 7-zip I get the message "The best driver  software for your device is already installed"

HP Recommended

Hi Old geeskter,

I ran Windows Upgrade adviser and the network adapter is compatible. There was one item that came back as not compatible....ACPI\AWY0001. Apparently this is an "Away Mode System" which is only works on 32-bit versions of windows. 

Would this item in any way cause intermittant function of the network adapter???

This morning when I started the computer the adatper didn't work, I restarted it and its working fine now. I can install a usb or PCI adapter like you suggest, but I'm just curious as to what may be causing this problem. 

Thank You

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have attached the away mode driver you need to install (under attachments).

Manually install it by using the same install method I posted above.

You will not need 7-zip for this.  Just download it and unzip it.

I don't know why the W7 driver isn't working.

HP Recommended

Thank you both for your help. 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.