Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
h9-1100z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought an EVGA geforce gtx 1060, and i cannot get my computer to boot past the initial BIOS screen. I have spent about 2 weeks reading forums, watching videos, reading specs on my motherboard and the new card. Every single person with the geforce gtx 1060 that had the same issue resolved the issue the same way, updating their BIOS. That's where my issue has been different. 

I have been to the hp support, looked up the drivers for my motherboard. My original BIOS was a version from OCT 2011. The only BIOS i can seem to find for my system is APR 2012. It's only in windows 7 as well. I am running windows 10 but installed the BIOS because windows 10 is not on the list to show BIOS available. It didn't even have a BIOS option for windows 8.  When checking updates for 10, the site said all of these are automatic for 10.

So at this point, all I can find on the HP site for my motherboard, Angelica M3970AM-HP, is a 5 year old BIOS update. So if i am doing something wrong when trying to update my BIOS, I would love to get some help. I have already checked on the EVGA site for some help, but everywhere I look keeps pointing back at my BIOS from HP.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@etaksrenegade, welcome to the forum.

Your problem will not be solved by a BIOS update.  The problem is caused by the fact that the GTX 1060 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  Your BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  Your best option is to contat the manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they have a VBIOS upgrade for the video card to allow it to run witn a Legacy BIOS.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.