Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Touchsmart 520-1030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a jumping cursor problem . I have tried the mouse pointing uncheck , I have tried Touchfreeze and disabling drivers and I have checked in safe mode for malware. None of these works to solve the problem . Can anybody help please?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@antoniod1

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP TouchSmart 520-1030 Desktop PC. I read that the mouse does not operate correctly. The mouse cursor jumps hear and there on the screen. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• I see that this is a wireless mouse that was shipped originally with the PC. Have you tried to disconnect and reconnect the wireless dongle?

Image of mouse

• Have you tested the PC with another mouse (if available)? NOTE: you need to disconnect the wireless mouse and connect the other mouse to test it.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Change the surface under the mouse. Place the mouse on a light-colored mouse pad or white sheet of paper, and then check its operation. Use the wireless mouse on an opaque surface. The wireless mouse might not work correctly on glass, grooved, translucent, reflective, or see-through surfaces.

• Replace the batteries. Remove the battery access cover and replace the batteries.

• Remove any other objects that are between the keyboard, mouse, and the USB receiver, especially speakers.

• If you are using the mouse or keyboard around large metal surfaces, remove the metal surface or move the receiver, mouse, and keyboard to a new location, away from the metal surface.

If the issue persists then ou may reconfigure the wireless mouse as described below:

• Pull down on the USB receiver to unplug it from the USB slot.
  • Wait 10 seconds and push the USB receiver back into place, making sure to push it in as far as it will go.
  • Watch for the blue activity light on the back of the USB receiver. After plugging in the wireless receiver, the activity light stays lit for a few seconds and then goes out.
  • After the activity light on the USB receiver goes out, press the blue Connect button on the underside of the mouse for about 10 seconds. Hold it down until the blue activity light shines through the back of the computer again.
  • When you see the blue activity light, release the Connect button on the mouse.
  • The activity light stays lit for a few seconds. When the blue activity light goes out again, the mouse is synchronized with the computer.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi

Thanks for the advice. I've changed the Keyboard , Mouse and Usb but the problem stays the same.

HP Recommended

@antoniod1

You're welcome. 🙂

I need more information from you to fix this.

I understand that you have replaced the keyboard, mouse and the USB dongle and still the mouse pointer jumps.

• Do you have a single USB dongle for the mouse and the keyboard? If yes, then does the keyboard work properly?
  • Try connecting the USB dongle to different USB ports and check if that helps.

Let me know. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

Hi Mkazi

I replaced the keyboard, wireless moudse and usb connector with a logitech and this didn't change the problem so I don't think its connected to the mouse or keyboard. I've also moved anything metal away so its not interference from that. Could it be a Windows 10 problem as it was converted from a windows 7 operating system

HP Recommended

Hi @antoniod1

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I would like to inform you that this issue usually occurs when there is a virus or a malware on your computer.

I recommend you to run a full scan on your computer and make sure there are no virus or malware. For malware, you can also use malware bite and run that on your computer.

If the issue persists, then follow the steps in the below article.

http://hp.care/2qkQWr6

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The_Fossette

I've tried malwarebytes in safe mode as well as normal , that doesn't reveal anything. I've been through the mouse issues and disabled the touch functions. Any other ideas for a desktop.

regards

antoniod1

HP Recommended

@antoniod1

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette & @MKazi, but they're both out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I understand there's a Jumping Cursor problem and after carefully going through the entire conversation, It looks like it would be best to get back to windows 7 as HP doesn't recommend upgrading to a retail version of Windows using the retail disc and that said, you are right, the issue seems to be the windows OS, considering alternate/external mouse has the same issue.

If you need to know about getting back to the HP Shipped OS or OEM: Click here

Keep me posted 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.