Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 25xi
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

HP LED ISP 25xi

Product No: C3Z97AA

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 [Display adapter]  

Purchased in December 2013. 

I allow my desktop to go to sleep overnight, and the monitor turns itself off.  In the morning, when I wake the computer and monitor, there is a dark, triangular dark area (like a shadow) in the lower right corner.  It takes up about 20% of the screen.  I find that if I allow the monitor to display for several minutes, then turn it off for a few minutes, then turn it back on, the dark shadow is gone and the display is fine for the rest of the day. 

The image on the screen is visible 'behind' the shadow area, and the cursor is active there also.  The size of the dark area varies somewhat, sometimes a bit smaller.  

This behavior started a few months ago.  

At the moment it is only a nuisance, but wondering if something is failing after 3+ years of use.  

Suggestions and thoughts welcome.  

Thank  you. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Retexan599, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand the monitor screen turns the dark area in the lower right corner after overnight sleep.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your monitor?

How is the monitor connected from your PC?

Have you tried connecting the monitor to a different PC? Does the issue persist?

Have you tried checking with different video cables?

Press the Auto or Autoselect button on the display.
Press Menu, and select Factory Reset.
If the display has more than one type of connection available such as VGA, DVI, or HDMI, try a different type of connection.
Set the video resolution on the computer to match the native resolution of the display. Find the native resolution for your display from the box the display came in, the Monitor User Guide, or product specifications. To change the display resolution, use the following steps:
In Windows 8, press the Windows key  + X key, click Control Panel, find the Appearance and Personalization area, and then click Adjust Screen Resolution.
In Windows 7, click Start, click Control Panel, and click Adjust Screen Resolution in Appearance and Personalization.
Move the slider bar until the native resolution for the display is set, and click OK.
If the native display resolution is not one of the settings that you can select or the problem continues, continue to the next step.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot display issues with your monitor.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps it is a hardware issue with your monitor.

Link to contact HP.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I think the 3 year old monitor is just failing.  I can live with the morning turnoff/turnon as long as it does not get worse.  

HP Recommended

Hi @Retexan599

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @MrRobot, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I recommend you to follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2qQwjU6

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.