Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 550-160se
Linux

I'm trying to use Linux on my machine. I've tried several different kernels and I get the same results. The kernel boots up fine, but when I get to the command prompt, the keyboard does not work. Is there a bios setting I need to adjust in order to recognize the USB ports?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jjjet

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Some older BIOSs have an option to enable USB legacy settings, and sometimes, those have to be enabled in order to detect some USB devices, including mice and keyboards.

The bigger problem is that HP does not provide Linux drivers (except in very rare conditions) and without those, your PC is not going to function at all well.

Your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using. Folks there will be familiar with driver and hardware problems and are in a much better position to assist you.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.