Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy with the MS 7826 Motherboard. I just upgraded my processor from an i5 4430 to an i7 4770k. I use my computer mainly for rendering and when the CPU runs at 100% the temperatures of the cores get up around 90C. Which, I know, is very high. My CPU fan is only running at 45% max at any time though! I went to my BIOS to change fan speed and all it has is a fan speed monitor. Nothing to change the speed. Is there a way do this? I really cant afford to have my processor burn out on me so any input would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @guidomichaela,

A warm welcome to the HP community.  A very good day to you. 🙂 I understand that you require assistance regarding overheating issues of the processor, with the fan spinning at higher speeds than normal. It will be a genuine pleasure to help you. 🙂

Stupendous description, fabulous troubleshooting and spectacular analysis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂  .  You are a valued HP customer and it is a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Please let me know the complete model# of the computer.
  • Did it begin immediately after replacing the processor?
  • Did you update the bios?

First off, these are standard bios versions that go with the computers and changing the fan speeds or operating temperature may not be possible as the features are locked since these bios versions are HP computer specific and not all customers are very tech-savvy.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance. Upgrades are done at the customer’s own discretion. However, as you are very technically inclined you could try these steps to see if the situation is corrected.

Steps to reduce heat inside the computer: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/bph07153

Steps to for noisy fan: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01857696

Also update the bios from this link: http://hp.com/drivers

Please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions and check if the bios update is available. This might help in overheating issues of the computer.

If nothing works, please contact a local Staples or Best Buy technician for try to get the situation corrected.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helpsplease mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I looked on HPs site for downloading the BIOS update but it says that its only available for windows 8 and 8.1. I have windows 7 installed on my Envy 700-074. Will this cause problems?

HP Recommended

Hi @guidomichaela,

I read and reviewed the post. Thanks for the quick reply. Please do not update the bios. it is designed only for windows 8.1.  You've done some outstanding and fabulous troubleshooting to try and correct the situation. 🙂 hats off to you for that. 🙂 Brilliant effort.:) 

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂 You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. 🙂 I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I honestly hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂 Please contact a local Staples or Best Buy technician to try and get it fixed as it is a hardware issue.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.