Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My parents are having a problem with their HP desktop and I could really use some advice. They have a HP Pavilion A6500F and monitor model W1907. When you turn on the tower the monitor says no videos signal, then says monitor going to sleep. If i unplug the monitor cable from the tower the monitor stays on, but as soon as I connect it back to the tower it goes to sleep.  I can not figure out any way to get the computer to come on and the monitor to stay on.

My parents are elderly and on a fixed income, so they don't really have money for a repair visit, I'm hoping this is something i can fix on my own with your advice.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is GREATLY appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello detroit_fan,

You are getting a message that the monitor is going to sleep.

Here is a link to a document that will walk you through some trouble shooting steps for the error.

Let me know how everything goes.

HP Recommended

ok, finally got a chance to mess with it again. i confirmed the monitor works fine with another computer, and confirmed that a known good monitor also goes to sleep as soon as it is connected to the HP.

So now that i know it is not the monitor, i started looking around the inside of the tower and i think this HP doesn't have a separate video card, i think it's incorporated into the motherboard. the model is HP Pavilion A6500. It does appear to have a slot for a video card, but i read that it only has a 250w power supply and that may not be enough for a new card.

Where should i go from here?

HP Recommended

detroit_fan,

If you are able to boot into Safe Mode which uses bare minimum drivers and you do get a signal that eliminates a hardware problem.

Turn off the computer.

As you power it back on, tap the F8 key.

If you can get to the advanced boot options go to enable lowest resolution.

Also make sure that you try a different cable to the monitor.

If you’re using DVI try a VGA or HDMI.

Let me know how everything goes.

HP Recommended

no need for programs, or change monitor.. 
THE FACT is your cable is damaged.. just go to the nearby shop where you can get a cable which connects your monitor n CPU
I RECENTLY HAD THIS problem. n today it has been SOLVED!! 
try it  🙂  

HP Recommended

Do you mean " VGA: No Signal " ?

HP Recommended

ys brother try

HP Recommended

ys bro if you want to get rid from this then use dp or hdmi(just change the cable)

HP Recommended

The cause of the problem is that somehow the BOIS setting for the video has changed. I have a DX2400 and I encountered this problem.

I took sometime for the penny to drop but the problem was that the video signal was being trasmitted to a different port. My system was normally set to VGA. I performed a Microsoft update (which didn't cause the problem) ad hence I had a new giant door stop.

The solution is you have to reset the Video setting in the BIOS. It took several attempts to get to the BIOS by powering on the system and hitting the <F10> key and eventually I succeeded to the BIOS. Scroll right to the third option (Advanced) and note the video will be different from what it is supposed to be. Scroll down to that setting and modify it to your video adapter type. Scrool right to the last option and <Save> and <Exit>. The system will reboot automatically and it will show the BIOS screen and boot up with the signal going to the video option selected.

If you are unsure of the video type, select the option to load the Factory Default Setting (provided you are uing the video provided when the system was pruchased.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.