Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My mouse is double-clicking when I only want a single click.  The problem is not consistant.  It double-clicks more often than not now.  Sometimes it will do it 10 times in a row, other times it will just do it once or twice.   I hooked up a different mouse to the computer and it does the same thing. Is it a virus?  Do I need to find drivers and reinstall the mouse?  I realize this doesn't sound like a big problem, but imagine never getting the results you want when you give the computer a command, or deleating 2 emails at once even if you havn't read the second one that just got deleated. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Try adjusting the mouse 'double-click speed' setting in the Control Panel.

Here's the instructions for Windows7.

How To Adjust Mouse Settings

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on KUDO'S.

HP Recommended

Tried changing double click sensitivity, still doesn't work. I'm currently using microsoft's HID compliant mouse driver. 

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the exact issue. Brand new EliteBook 8460w. When I first got it, I wiped the OS and did a fresh Windows 7 Enterprise. I installed all the necessary drivers. The problem rose its ugly head the first day and has plagued me for 3 weeks. Just like you said-it's random. Over the course of 5 minutes, it may start a few times and then go away. Sometimes it goes away after 2 fake doubleclicks, other times it persists. It may sound like just an annoyance but it is a severe usability hindrence, a source of errors and accidents, and completely irritating.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the synaptics touchpad driver. no good. i even tried without the synaptics, just using the Microsoft default. Same behavior. HP HELP!!!!!

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem I have even tried 2 different mice both work perfectly fine on a toshiba laptop but not on my Dell Desktop it is extreme annoyance at first i thought it was me just wearing the mouse out (i do alot of gaming) but then switched the mice on the laptop and desktop and found that i still had the same problem when the laptop still had none.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I have modified the mouse settings and changed to a different mouse all to no avail.

Is this a windows 7 problem or an HP problem?

HP Recommended

Here is a Microsoft article:  Troubleshoot mouse double-clicking when you single-click.

This should help, it has quite a few possibilities and appropriate troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.