Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPE h8-1230z CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have an HP Pavilion HPE h8-1230z CTO Desktop PC from 2012.  It has 8 processors and 64 Gigs of memory.  I just figured at the time that I should get the most powerful computer I could to last me several years.

For years the computer was very quiet and only occasionally would the CPU fan kick in.  Then it started coming on more and more often, now it runs almost continuously.  I took the desktop apart to make sure the fans are turning, and blew out all the dust and cat hair with compressed air.  Unfortunately, the CPU fan is still running almost continuously, which is REALLY loud.

I installed a program called SpeedFan, I downloaded it and ran it, below is the status of my computer, looks like it’s about to catch fire.

speedfan.jpg

Even though the internal fans are working (according to the SpeedFan program), maybe they’re just old and need to be replaced to keep things cool.  Any suggestions?  I live in Argentina and it’s not easy to find manufacturer made parts, and I have to do with whatever the computer store stocks.  Receiving things in the mail from outside the country is very difficult.

Thanks for any ideas.

Pete

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Some things to check while waiting for another answer:

Find the holes where air goes in and out of the case.  Blow away any dust accumulating in them.  Place the computer where nothing is blocking air going in and out of these holes.  Now turn on the computer and check if it now runs quieter.  One of my computers produced smoke and stopped working when the side entrance was pushed against a cabinet wall that blocked air from entering.

If it still isn't quiet enough, the noisy fan may be in the power supply instead of near the CPU.  To check, remove power for several minutes, then open the case, remove the power supply, open the power supply, and blow out any dust you find.  Now put it back together and see if it is quiet enough.  This helped another of my computers.

Many computers have a third fan on the graphics card.  Blow away any dust in its heat sink also.

Some high-end computers have even more fans, usually not dedicated to anything in particular.

Check if your software shows whether your CPU fan is turning at any reasonable speed.  If not, the wire for telling the software how fast the fan is turning may be broken inside,  in which case the software will probably tell the fan to turn as fast as it can.  In this case, find the parts list for that model of computer and see if it offers any way to order a new CPU fan.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.