Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks,  I think you are right. I did get a pop up message.  It ask choose  what you want to do. But I have not found any place to choose.  I am not very computer savy, but you stated the CD/DVD drive can be replaced. How do I go about doing that?  Thank you again for your input.  LBM5

HP Recommended

> How to replace?

See page 9 of: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03359399

for full details.

HP Recommended

OK Thanks again. I will try and have a friend do this for me.   LBM5

HP Recommended

@LBM5

You've got a couple of options -- depending on how much you want to spend and how much work you want to do.

The first option is cleaning the laser lenses.  With a CD/DVD device, you have two lasers, one for the CD, one for the DVD.  Over time, dust and grime collect on the lenses, and when they get dirty enough, they can't read or write the disks anymore.

You can get a kit, consisting of a CD-sized disk and some cleaning solution.  You put the solution on the disk, put it in the drive, and start the drive.  It takes a few minutes, but afterward, if your CDs and DVDs then play, that fixed the problem.

The second option is replacing the drive.  I've seen CD/DVD desktop drives for $10 or less -- so this option might actually cost less than the first.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Again thank you for taking the time to try and assist me. I will ask about a new player to see what is involved. LBM5

HP Recommended

> I will ask about a new player to see what is involved.

Take your computer to an "owner/operatore" computer-store.

Also, take one of your DVDs.

They will inspect the "data" and the "power" connectors on the "back-end" of the CD/DVD drive, and will sell you a compatible drive.

Also, after they have opened the computer to inspect the current device, it should take them less than two minutes to disconnect and unscrew and remove the device, and to insert and screw-in and connect the replacement.

Of course, it will take a few minutes to boot-up your computer, and "test" it, to verify that it works.

HP Recommended

This sounds great. I just looked up a local shop and I plan on  contacting them about this problem.  Thanks so much for your ihelp. LBM5

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.