Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Does anybody know if the Z820 can boot off a NVMe PCIe SSD card?

It has an appropriate UEFI version - 2.3.1 but not sure if that is sufficient.

The Z840 documentation says it is supported but I can't find anything in Z820 documentation.

Thanks!

52 REPLIES 52
HP Recommended

Please find out the URL the information for Z Turbo Drive installation:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=6898494&docId=emr_na-c04399475&docLocale...

HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure the Z Turbo Drive isn't NVMe.

Thanks

Mick

HP Recommended

In the document these SSDs have NVME controller

HP Z Turbo Drive G2 512GB SSD
512GB SSD
PCIe Gen3 x4 architecture
NVMe Controller
NAND Type: MLC
Read Bandwidth (128KB): 2150 MB/s
Write Bandwidth (1MB): 1550 MB/s
Random Read IOPS (4KB): 300K
Random
Write IOPS (4KB): 100K
Endurance (Total Bytes Written): 292 TB
Weight: 4.0oz (113g)
Form Factor: Half

Please let us know if you tried & managed to boot from it.
HP Recommended

I can confirm that it boots.

It was a bit tricky though. Couple of things to remember ,

• even the DVD-ROM has to be in the EFI Mode.
  • The flashdrive with the NVME driver has to be in the USB 2.0 slot.

I am very happy with the Intel 750 PCIE 400GB SSD. I have never seen Windows 7 so snappy.

Message me if you need further information.

HP Recommended

HI,

I'm at the point where the Win7 installer can't find drive from the driver for the PCIe drive, but can format it, any pointers like how to get the DVD into EFI mode?

HP Recommended

For the DVD to work in EFI mode, you need to use the untouched image from Microsoft or the HP recovery DVD. If you use any of the modified images, it wont work. I used the HP recovery DVD. I am using Windows 7 x64 professional edition.

Have you also enabaled EFI mode for Mass Storage option in the Bios ?

When you book, it should look like the screenshot below.  DVD-ROM should be under UEFI Boot Sources.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119783843/misc/Z820%20Boot.jpg

Are you using the DVD-ROM from the work station or the external one ? I used the one in the work station.

I just downloaded the driver from the the Intel website.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Family-for-PCIe-...

Make sure this driver is saved in a USB flash drive & it should be inserted into a USB 2.0 port, not the blue one.
I used the port in the front (the top one I think). It worked for me.

Wish you all the best. 

HP Recommended

My Bios is

Computer : HP Z820 Workstation 103C_53335X G=D (HP 158B)
Version : J63 v03.85
SMBIOS/DMI Version : 2.70
Plug & Play Version : 1.00
Date of Manufacture : 19 November 2014
(EE)PROM Size : 16MB

Your problem definitely is , your DVD-ROM is not in EFI Mode.

When you boot, it should look like the screenshot below. DVD-ROM should be under UEFI Boot Sources.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119783843/misc/Z820%20Boot.jpg

HP Recommended

hi everybody,

I'm struggling with the same issue albeit in a Z620 PC.  updated the bios to 3.88, enabled UEFI boot from ATAPI/USB CD in computer setup, switched mass storage options to EFI but whatever install source I throw at it, UEFI section of boot menu remains empty.

tried

- HP recovery DVD

- windows 8 DVD

- windows 10 DVD  (both 64bit, created from downloaded ISO)

- windows 10 USB stick

skimmed through forums and installation instructions but no joy.

any hints on what I might be missing?

thanks,

Urs

HP Recommended

HP introduced Turbo Drive G1 (non-nvme) on the Z420/620/820 and support for boot off the ssd card with a BIOS update (data support only with earlier BIOS revs) 3.88 - maybe an earlier rev as well, but 3.88 has certain needed fixes. The HP Turbo Drive 2.0 generation introduces nvme controller and is only supported on the z440/z640/z840

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.