Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario SR2180NX
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

My computer came with XP originally, but I eventually upgraded to Vista with no problems - I even used the disc a few more times in the future as a system recovery method.  This time around, however, it installed but with no internet connection.  In Device Manager, it shows that the network controller has a yellow warning sign beside it, as well as audio and graphics.  The main thing I'm interested in is connecting to the internet so Windows Update can probably fix the rest of missing stuff.

I've scoured the internet almost-endlessly to find the network controller drivers.  The network adapter drivers are loaded fine, but without the network controller it won't recognize that there's a cable already plugged in (I've already checked both-ends, re-plugged several times, even wiggled to make sure contacts were meeting). 

I should also mention I no longer have the original restore disc.  Restore points are useless, since the restore point is Vista's incomplete installation (I've reinstalled once since discovering this problem with same results). 

It won't let me contact HP support directly, says I can only go here.  Do you guys have the network controller drivers/whatever I need available?  Otherwise, I'd like to buy a new restore disc.

I paid hundreds for this at the time.  Please don't tell me that I've got a hunk of junk with no more support. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't see that HP has the ethernet controller driver listed on your PC's support page.

The product specs indicate that it comes with an Intel 82562V ethernet adapter.

Here is the link to the Vista 64 bit ethernet driver you need...the 2nd one down on the left side of the page is for 64 bit.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18718/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Vista-Final-Relea...

The audio and graphics drivers you can get from the support page for your model.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/Compaq-Presario-SR2100-Desktop-PC-series/3339270/mod...

If you see a device listed as a Network Controller, that is a wireless network adapter that needs a driver installed.

I don't see any specs that indicate the PC came with built in wireless, so please post the hardware ID for the device you see listed as a Network controller, and I will see if I can locate the driver for it.

To find the hardware ID, go to the device manager and click on the Network Controller device.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the Network Controller window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list, and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

HP Recommended

I already tried that exact ethernet driver before, didn't work.  However, when you said the network controller was the wireless card I had installed prior, I found the installation disc for it, and I have internet again!

I'm going to use Windows Update to attempt to update it that way, but either way, if the adapter's screwed, at least I have internet again!  Thanks for your help, you gave me a 2nd option at least.  Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.