Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a HP pg 2302eam with an updated 550w PSU ready to run a gtx 660 ti GPU. However, I only get 'no signal' on my monitor.

As far as I'm aware, with the updated PSU, the PC should be fine to run the card.

Would there be a compatibilty issue with my motherboard? Or is there something I can do with my BIOS to help resolve this issue?

I see no options in the current (and latest v8) BIOS to disable the integrated graphics and run the new GPU from the pci slot.

What could cause this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Punchpidge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have heard, if you have a UEFI Bios, you have enter BIOS, disable secure boot and enable legacy boot in order to enable the new video card. All things equal, this is assuming no power supply issues.

Not sure what OS you are using and could not find the model number you indicated in your post.

Lastly, it is good to uninstall current video drivers, shut down, install new card, then install new drivers upon successful reboot into the operating system.

Jaco

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have heard, if you have a UEFI Bios, you have enter BIOS, disable secure boot and enable legacy boot in order to enable the new video card. All things equal, this is assuming no power supply issues.

Not sure what OS you are using and could not find the model number you indicated in your post.

Lastly, it is good to uninstall current video drivers, shut down, install new card, then install new drivers upon successful reboot into the operating system.

Jaco

HP Recommended

Hi Jaco,

Thank you so much for your reply -- it did, indeed, work (although I don't really understand why).

Anyone else having this issue should give this a try. You will also have to enter Windows (I have Windows 8 btw) via safe mode and disable the integrated graphics, if, like me, you do not have that option in your Bios (many HP computers don't).

Again -- thanks a bunch. Bioshock Infinite...here I come.

Punchpidge

HP Recommended

Hi punchpidge,

Happy to have helped and good to know you got the card up and running.

You should mark the post solved to help others in the same situation.

Jaco

HP Recommended

Hi everyone!

I'm bringing out this thread from the "Solved" state to ask for some more information about the exact configuration of the system Joshua-H61-uATX + Dedicated PCI-E VGA.

In my case it's a GeForce 650 ti oc that won't turn on the Monitor: every time I switch the Video out from the Integrated VGA to the Geforce 650 ti oc it's always a black screen. The thing is that the OS (Windows 😎 is still booting, so if I switch back the Video cable to the integrated VGA the picture magically reappears.

So, I entered into safe mode of Windows 8, desabled the integrated graphics (from Device manager only by Right clicking over the VGA -> Disable, I didn't Uninstalled anything), so I confirmed the choise, and then it was disabled.. although I could still see the Video..

Then, restarted in BIOS menu, I desabled "Secure boot" and enabled "Legacy boot" but nothing changed: still no Video output from the dedicated Geforce. So I messed a little with the other options in the BIOS, but without success..there's surely something that I'm doing wrong.

I need some help, I can't make the Mobo recognize my new VGA 😞
Please...

HP Recommended

Bor1s,

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and/or product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers that are all different. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

Additionally, provide the exact brand and model of your GeForce 650Ti oc graphics card and the upgraded power supply you purchased and install to power this graphics card.

Pease send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi again,

Thank you very much for answering me!

I'm sorry about the lack of information. Here it is:

PC Model: Pavilion p6-2400el

New VGA: Gigabyte GTX650 TI OC 2GB (GV-N65TOC-2GI)

New PSU: Vultech® GS-600R 600W Specs:

gs-600r-3w.jpg

What can I do now?

HP Recommended

The BIOS automatically disables the integrated graphics when a card is installed and properly powered. If the cards isn't getting power, the BIOS may not see the card. Did you connect the 6-pin PCIe power cable to the graphics card??? If not, the card working properly is unlikely and you must connect the 6-pin PCIe connector.

The power supply has split 12v rails, which means this is a cheap power supply and may not adequately power the graphics card. I would suggest the Corsair CX500 or CX600 instead of your current power supply.

Other troubleshooting items include replacing the card and/or power supply, in case they are defective.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi there,

thank you again for the time dedicated!

The 6-pin power source is always plugged in the new VGA since the first time I tried to boot the system without any BIOS modifies. That was a very strange situation: pushed the Power button the PC turned on for a second, after it died all by it self with no video signal from either the VGAs. After that it switched on and off again.. the third time it kept switched on, still no video.

I've tried the 2x Molex to 6-pin PCIe solution to power the VGA with the same results.
(Without any power source the 650ti oc turns on and the 2 fans of its heatsink run at max, so I guess it notices that something is going wrong.)

So I thought there was some incompatibility with the integrated VGA and in the BIOS I found a Security section that limits the PCI slots. Desabled the security limit the PC was able to boot into Windows through integrated graphics.

At that point I searched for a solution online, found this thread and tried setting the Legacy boot but anything happend.

Perhaps I've done something wrong in the BIOS settings, I don't even know what's the connection between disabling the integrated VGA via Safe mode and the fact that the System doesn't detect the new VGA in any way.. Like you say, when a Dedicated VGA is put in an integrated-graphics-only PC, the dedicated one must dominate and "win" over the integrated.

Tomorrow I'll test the Geforce 650ti oc on that mother board with another PSU, in case it doesn't work out I'll try another dedicated VGA in the same PC.. and in case that either does I'll test the new VGA in another system.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for the support!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.