Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion All-in-One Model 24-b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've successfully added a second monitor to my new HP Pavilion using an HDMI-VGA adaptor cable.

The problem is I have no sound, either through the on-board speakers or using an external audio system plugged into the headphone jack; if I remove the second monitor, I have sound, so it seems, on the face of it, I have to make a choice between the second monitor with no sound or sound without a second monitor.

Does anyone know of a configuration setting that I can apply to make both work together; alternatively, is there another way of connecting a VGA monitor that doesn't have this limitation?

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

HDMI to VGA won't have sound and your machine thinks you send sound to HDMI connection but VGA won't work that way. Now you have 2 options:

1. Buy a new monitor which has HDMI port and speakers

or

2. Disable HDMI sound

(a) Right click speaker icon,

(b) Select Playback devices

(c) Right click HDMI sound and select disable.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi banhien

Thanks, your explanation makes sense. Unfortunately, right click on speaker icon > playback devices did not display anything except Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device, so I don't think there's any way to fool the computer into thinking there's no HDMI. It is an old monitor I was given anyway, so I think I'll just stick to using a single monitor.

Windows 10 makes life easier with its virtual desktops anyway

Thanks again C

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.