cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LWCrows
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

ORIGINAL wireless adapter driver will not install

HP Recommended
M9500F
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

My wireless ability inexplicably stopped working, which I solved in the interim with a hardline. However, I need to move my modem/router and therefore needed to make the wireless function, again.

I tried the interim hack of uninstalling the adapter, which was showing up as "unidentified."  This did not help.  I downloaded the ORIGINAL driver, but when installing, received a 9996 error. This is clearly stupid, since it's the orignal driver and so it would be impossible for my machine to not meet the minimum requirements. 

Nevertheless, I appear stuck. I do plan to update the machine to at least 7 (only 5 years behind, then!), but that is not the cause of the problem, obvs, and so there should still be an answer to my current situation.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,465
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The wireless card may have actually failed/died. You can replace it easily with another PCI-E card or even  one that plugs into a usb port if you don't want to open case to install.

Examples:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704129

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100158094%20600014288&IsNodeId=1&bop=An...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation