Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

On a 2509m monitor, the picture is larger than the screen. On the menu under image control, custom scaling is gray. How can I get the custom scaling to be active?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The actual concern was that that the whole picture was not visible on the screen. It was larger than the screen. I solved that problem by buying an HDMI to DVI adapter and connecting the HDMI cable through the adapter to the DVI input to the monitor. The picture now fits the screen. The picture is also significantly sharper and brighter. The custom scaling is still grayed out, but I'm going to call the problem solved. Thanks to lasvegasman for the idea of a cable problem. LBC

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion 2509m LCD monitor. According to the specs, your monitor's native, maximum, and recommended resolution is 1920 x 1080. Please make sure that this is the resolution Windows is set to. Additionally, please state whether the monitor and computer are connected via VGA, DVI, or HDMI cables. Please provide the full model name and/or product number of the computer being use and the operating system installed.

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Yes, the resolution is 1920 x 1080. The computer is a Gateway DX4870-UB21P, P/N DT.GDDAA.004. The operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium. They are connected with HDMI Cables. This is a new computer that I am setting up. The previous computer, on which the monitor worked correctly, was an HP HPE-300z, P/N WS387AV#ABA. This computer and the monitor were connected with DVI cables. The mother board on this computer died at the age of 2 years and 2 days. So, I have a new computer.

HP Recommended

The actual concern was that that the whole picture was not visible on the screen. It was larger than the screen. I solved that problem by buying an HDMI to DVI adapter and connecting the HDMI cable through the adapter to the DVI input to the monitor. The picture now fits the screen. The picture is also significantly sharper and brighter. The custom scaling is still grayed out, but I'm going to call the problem solved. Thanks to lasvegasman for the idea of a cable problem. LBC

HP Recommended

Converting your HDMI PC-output to the monitor DVI-input via an adapter will work, but it is not a "solution".

HDMI-out to HDMI-in should work, but it does not. No one at HP seems to understand that the problem is called overscan. The question I'd like to see answered is "If the Custom Scaling option were it not grayed out, could be used to disable overscan?"

I have a dv6-7000, and when I connect via HDMI the image on the 2509m is "too big" (all four edges are clipped).  When I connect to my Panasonic PT-AE900u projector, the same thing happens.  However, the projector menu option for Position settings offers an Overscan ON/OFF.  It defaults to ON.  When I turn it OFF, the displayed image "shrinks" back to normal, i.e. it matches the image on the laptop display.  QED.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.