Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23 g218 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My Desktop computer comes on will automatically go in Repair and states that PC cannot start. I have tried just about all troubleshooting and it still will not start. Is there anything else I can do before I put in the shop?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If you are unable to og into the windows, you can try F11 option and trying to refresh the PC.  If the is backed up or not important, you can also trying resetting it to factory default.

Say "thanks" by clicking the Kudos thumbs up!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
I am an HP Employee .
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you recall any changes you did before this happened?

It could be casued by  several things:

- MSCONFIG , incorrect Memory and CPU core count startup settings

- 3rd party software incompatibility

- HDD errors

Potential Solutions:

Perform system restore to previous day it was working fine

PC Settings refresh for Windows 10 (data backup must be done)

BCDEDIT command  or CMD commands, depending on what clue you could provide as to what caused this.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

I didn't do any changes. And because I have been trying to fix the problem by myself I don't have a restore point on the computer.

HP Recommended
To my understanding, you are not able to Boot to windows. So you can follow the following steps: 1> Are you able to boot to safe mode, you can log into safe mode by hitting F8 button immediately after pushing the power button. If yes please reply, we'll take from there. If not: 2> Please press F10 option immediately after pushing the power button. It'll take you to the BIOS screen, please try to reset BIOS to factory default. Otherwise: 3> Please press F11 option immediately after pushing the power button. You will get troubleshoot / advance option, under which you will get three other options: a> Restore: You can restore your PC to previous restoration point, you can choose from the given restoration dates. b> Refresh: You can refresh the windows and while you keep your Microsoft based files and stored data. You might loose third party installed application. Though there is no data loss, data back up is highly recommended, as Hp takes no responsibilities on data loss. c> Reset: It'll completely format the unit to factory setup, data loss is 100%. Other wise if there is no above options: Please look for the OS Media(Can be shipped DVD/CD or Bootable USB created by you) shipped out with the unit, and boot from the media and re build the OS. Also data loss is 100% in this scenario too. Its ok to use your personal Bootable media too. Note: you can also press F2 and run the on screen explanatory Diagnostic tools, for HDD, Memory etc..
Say "thanks" by clicking the Kudos thumbs up!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
I am an HP Employee .
HP Recommended

Are you able to get to Safe mode with Networking?

Once there, you can check either run a disk check or /sfcscannow command or start backin up your files if you must do a PC Refresh at some point.

Another thing to consider is to check MSCONFIG for any Startup 3rd party softrware that may have caused the problem.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

In system Restore get ask for password for Administrator. Don't think I have one

HP Recommended

I can't get anywhere. When I try to restart to go into Windows the screen goes black

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.