Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP z230 Tower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm looking to upgrade my HP z230's power supply from the base 400w to something around 600w, doing research however I learned that HP's motherboard is not compatible with normal 24 pin inputs but with a 18 pin input as such I have not been able to find a power supply that fits my system, does anybody have a solution to my problem?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Please find the HP tested and compatible power supply as given below,

Power Supply - HP Z230 Tower Workstation
400 watts wide-ranging, active Power Factor Correction, 92% Efficient
320W Standard Efficiency wide-ranging, active PFC Power Supply option available in some countries.

600 watts power supply is not tested on this workstation.

I am a HP Employee
HP Recommended

@leogray wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade my HP z230's power supply from the base 400w to something around 600w, doing research however I learned that HP's motherboard is not compatible with normal 24 pin inputs but with a 18 pin input as such I have not been able to find a power supply that fits my system, does anybody have a solution to my problem?

I think you will need a 24-pin to 6-pin adapter like this:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-Z230-Z220-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-6%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-(3...

I have just purchased this device and will be digging into what my options are to get this to work with a GTX 960 video card and will be looking at using an existing standard PSU.  HP doesn't seem to really understand the question and I don't believe they have any knowledge of an adapter that they sell to make it work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.