Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The Touchsmart IQ524 with the Seagate Barracuda 500 GB drive is TRASH!  The hard drive failed after 13 months (1 month after warranty expired) & ALTHOUGH BOTH HP & SEAGATE ARE AWARE OF THIS ISSUE, neither company will step up to replace them. I am so sorry I wasted my $ on a Touchsmart & will NEVER BUY AN HP PRODUCT AGAIN! Their "customer service/support" is a joke & their representatives barely speak English! If you're considering purchasing a PC, buy anything BUT an HP!

HP Recommended

I completely agree!  HP should be doing a recall on these hard drives.  Mine failed on a $1,300 computer and they made me spend $200 more to get it fixed?  This is really poor of HP.  They know there is a problem and are refusing to do anything about it.

HP Recommended

@nomohp4me wrote:

The Touchsmart IQ524 with the Seagate Barracuda 500 GB drive is TRASH!  The hard drive failed after 13 months (1 month after warranty expired) & ALTHOUGH BOTH HP & SEAGATE ARE AWARE OF THIS ISSUE, neither company will step up to replace them. I am so sorry I wasted my $ on a Touchsmart & will NEVER BUY AN HP PRODUCT AGAIN! Their "customer service/support" is a joke & their representatives barely speak English! If you're considering purchasing a PC, buy anything BUT an HP!

Did you do the firmware update? there are 2 parts to this, them identifying the issue and then you being able to perform the maintenance to avoid it. HP and Seagate didn't hide this issue, they were both very vocal, and the firmware update will prevent the bricked drive issue.

If the drive "just failed" for other reasons, that happens, drives are the single most common failure part in any desktop PC, regardless of manufacturer. If you think HP is the only manufacturer with the issues and that you'll do better by never buying from them, good luck, but these issues affect ALL manufacturers, and that includes the crappy customer support.

HP Recommended

i need yuor help ))

hello I need your help winchester from your machines got  to us, вобщем sense in that he starts but bios does not determine him, I barged into your reference if what able help )

preliminary to you thank you

HP Recommended

Hi all, I had this problem in the UK and I got the hard drive replaced by the company I purchased it from under the sale of goods act (inherent fault) - so they replaced the hard drive and told me to use my recovery disks to get the pc back and working.  I couldn't get the pc on so used a recovery disk from another pc with windows 7 home on it and got the pc working.  The pc is now saying the version of windows is not genuine (which it is but for another pc) so thought I would use my recovery disks to try and get the pc back to factory settings but my recovery disks fail about 1/3 way through with an error message.  Anyone know how i can resolve this (it's error message 0x400110020000100a) or how i can order new recovery disks if that is what i need?

the original pc is now out of warranty but not sure if the replacement of the hard drive means the item warranty starts all over again?

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the seagate barracuda 7200.11  500gb      s/n 90m4m6e2  firmware hp24  . Do you know if this was a recall issue on this hard drive or am i on my on trying to fix it? It is way out of warranty.  Any Help????

HP Recommended

It is not a "recall" simply go to the HP support page for your model, download the Seagate Firmware update application, if your machine needs it, then it will run and update, if it does not need it, then it will say so.

HP Recommended

hello, i have the same problem after 3 years of purchasing a touchsmart iq500 an error suddenly occured with BIO-HD2
same SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.11 500GB ST3500620AS HP24

(this is unusual)
as i have researched this occured along time ago and some say their is a fix for the "busy" hard drive but i don't quite understand how it works.

Finally,
i would like to know if i can buy myself an hard drive and stick it in myself rather than calling hp to get me a hard drive and wasting money as i am way out of warranty. i was thinking that if i do get a new hard drive would i need to have some hp software already on from or just a blank hard drive plug it in and install a fresh copy of windows (i don't have a recovery disk)

HP Recommended

@bakaxdkaikun wrote:

hello, i have the same problem after 3 years of purchasing a touchsmart iq500 an error suddenly occured with BIO-HD2
same SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.11 500GB ST3500620AS HP24

(this is unusual)
as i have researched this occured along time ago and some say their is a fix for the "busy" hard drive but i don't quite understand how it works.

Finally,
i would like to know if i can buy myself an hard drive and stick it in myself rather than calling hp to get me a hard drive and wasting money as i am way out of warranty. i was thinking that if i do get a new hard drive would i need to have some hp software already on from or just a blank hard drive plug it in and install a fresh copy of windows (i don't have a recovery disk)

The "fix" is an update from HP or Seagate, you just run it, however it will NOT work on a failed drive, only prevent a drive from failing in the first place.

You can indeed buy your own hard drive, pretty much any SATA 3.5" drive of 320GB or larger will work, the instructions on replacing it are in your manuals AND on the HP web site.

You will need your own copy of Windows if you did not make OR purchase the Recovery discs from the machine when prompted.

HP Recommended

thanks for the info...i'll get a new hard drive now

p.s is there no way of getting the files from the old hard drive then?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.