Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@bakaxdkaikun wrote:

thanks for the info...i'll get a new hard drive now

p.s is there no way of getting the files from the old hard drive then?

It all depends on how dead the old drive is, if money is no issue there are data recovery companies that will recover data from some very badly damaged drives.

HP Recommended

I hope this will help somebody.  I am in the UK and had a drive (Seagate ST3500620AS, F/W DE12) from a friend's Dell PC in a drawer waiting to be degaussed prior to disposal, having fitted a replacement drive several months ago. 

I decided to do some searching, as this appears to be a widespread problem.  I found that there is a method for self recovering a bricked drive (i.e. failed and not recognised by the BIOS).  It involves using a serial to TTL convertor.  To cut a long story short, I didn't get as far a trying that although I would have considered trying it (my friend would not have paid for data recovery, so I was approaching the point of having nothing to lose other than a few pounds on the adaptor).  In the end, I opened a support case with Seagate and they offered free evaluation and updated the firmware of the drive (from DE12 to DE13 i.e. the Dell specific version).  To be clear, Seagate offered free collection, fix and return.  The drive has been returned and is now working fine and I have all of my friend's data for him.

So if you have one of these drives, try Seagate for free recovery.  If the fault turns out not to be firmware related, they will offer recovery, disposal or return of the drive at your option and advise of any costs.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with BIOS not detecting the drive, but I don;t care about the data just want to get the system running again, becausae I bought a new drive and it seem the recovery disk does not work at all due to -I heard -a ID setting problem.  so YOU  seagate can make the firmware fix ?

HP Recommended

@cordycep wrote:

I am having the same problem with BIOS not detecting the drive, but I don;t care about the data just want to get the system running again, becausae I bought a new drive and it seem the recovery disk does not work at all due to -I heard -a ID setting problem.  so YOU  seagate can make the firmware fix ?

There's no "id setting problem" the Recovery discs will work with almost any drive installed in the PC, the replacement drive does not need to be the same brand or size as the initially shipped one. If the Recovery disc isn't working, you have another issue to deal with.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 blocked.

(Model: ST3500620AS Firmware: HP24)

Which firmware
should I download to upgrade it?

How do I know if it's still under warranty?

HP can recover data in this case? or do I have to follow the manual procedure?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Ok today I contacted HP support and I've noticed that the hard disk is no longer under warranty.
So I'll do it manually.
What firmware I have to use?
I found these:

1) http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01676224

2) http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=vc-681...

which one is right for me?

Please respond!!
Seagate support told me to contact HP and I am only interested to know which firmware to use to update the hard disk.

N.B. I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Model: ST3500620AS Firmware: HP24

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@dedo89 wrote:

Ok today I contacted HP support and I've noticed that the hard disk is no longer under warranty.
So I'll do it manually.
What firmware I have to use?
I found these:

1) http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01676224

2) http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=vc-681...

which one is right for me?

Please respond!!
Seagate support told me to contact HP and I am only interested to know which firmware to use to update the hard disk.

N.B. I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Model: ST3500620AS Firmware: HP24

Thanks.

You can also use firmware direct from Seagate, but note that these firmware updates are only for certain models with certain issues, at almost 3 years old there is the possibility that your drive has just failed and the bad firmware problem is NOT the issue. If I had to pick one, I'd prefer going to Seagate directly over HP.

HP Recommended

I know there are differences depending on model and firmware version.
I found this: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207951&NewLang=en

Couldn't find
my version of firmware (HP24) I contacted Seagate and they told me: "your drive is an OEM drive. For a firmware flash, or any other support please contact the retailer."

so I thought HP had released a firmware update for the HP24! but still nothing....?

if the problem is not the firmware then throw it all away!
but if the problem is the firmware I've found some guidelines to follow..but I need the exact upgrade for my hard drive!

I can't afford to send the hard drive in support because it would cost too much...I have to do it alone...

HP Recommended

Your firmware MAY be newer than the firmware on the HP website which means that your issue is NOT be the "bad firmware" issue but just your common everyday run of the mill drive failure.

What happens when you run the HP firmware? it won't flash a drive that's already up to date. As far as cost, these drives are selling for under $50 out there if it needs replacement.

HP Recommended

sorry I didn't understand it first ..ok! so the two links I posted before might have the same problems because they are too old...

but I purchased the PC in late 2008 and only now has this problem .. I've never done any update to the firmware because I didn't know this bug and I've read of many people who have had the same problem with this particular firmware.
(For example, on page 1 "doon" has posted the update for the firmware the same as mine ... just that the link has expired!)

For these reasons I thought about the firmware issue.

Now the hard drive is inaccessible and I need to recover the data inside, but this is not a problem ..
After recovering the data I want to upgrade the firmware so I can continue to use the hard disk!

there is a version like HP25 or 26?

P.S
to repair the hard drive the price of 150 has been asked...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.