Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Replying to edited reply.

Ok, basically I think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about accelerating a large hard drive with an SSD with Intel Rapid Technology (SRT Smart Response Technology) where the SSD acts as a cache for the larger system disk. I do not know if it applies to this system since there are some specs which are missing.

SRT, even though it is not Raid it acts like RAID and in fact the motherboard needs to be raid enabled, among other things. Caching ca be performed in 2 different ways (which makes no sense to you) means that the acceleration (caching):

" Enhanced is essentially a write-through cache mode, with writes speeds limited by the hard drive's performance. Maximized mode acts as a write-back cache, an arrangement that yields optimum overall performance, because it involves caching writes and then writing them to the hard drive later." 

If the system is set in maximized mode if one of the two drives fails, the system will crash.

I do not know if Raid was set on this particular device, but at setup the raid should be removed and the ssd used as caching device.

A better method would to be to invest in larger SSD and install whole system and all application on it which will maximize performance. At least 120 GB or 240 GB SSD.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

I really appreciate you guys trying to work threw this for me.  I am much closer to a carpenter than a computer expert, but I am doing my best to follow along with your discussion.  Here is a little more information that may help you. If you need something else, please let me know.  The serial number is [Personal Information Removed]
and the product number is F3D94AA#ABA.

Inital boot image

This is the message that i am getting as soon as I power the PC on. It indicates that SATA1 is the failing drive...Then I hit "F1"  for normal boot up. and then kept hitting "f10" until I got to the HP set up utility.

IMG_20170318_100919801.jpg

IMHO...This picture indicates that I have two hard drives and the "SATA1" is the smaller SSD drive

IMG_20170318_101034826.jpg

When I ran the self test on the SATA1 16gb drive.  It said it would take approximately 5 minutes to complete the test, it failed almost instantly. ( I  haven't run the test on the 1TB drive because it will take hours and I wanted to make sure you didn't need any additional informtation before I ran that  test)

IMG_20170318_100958592.jpg

I was hoping this picture might help to show the drives are set up

Does this help?

HP Recommended

>  It indicates that SATA1 is the failing drive.

SATA1 is shown as the 16GB SSD device.  Remove it, and your computer will still function.

Replace it, and your computer will function at its maximum data-transfer mode.

P.S. It's considered inappropriate to post a serial-number.  Perhaps, a moderator will have already edited your post, to remove it.

HP Recommended

I removed the 16 GB drive and it didn't fix anything. I am still getting alternating BSOD windows stop  codes....FAT_FILE _SYSTEM ERROR......NTSF_FILE_SYSTEM ERROR.  I guess I will install the 1TB drive and then reinstall windows. I don't know if there is anything else I cand do.

HP Recommended

>  I don't know if there is anything else I can do.

1. Try connecting that disk-drive in another computer (one without a disk-drive), and power it on.

If the SMART is running on the motherboard, and it detects that the disk-drive is signaling "imminent failure", then the disk-drive really is "bad".

2. Try connecting a "known-good" disk-drive into the "failing" computer, and power it on.

If the SMART is running on the motherboard, and it reports a SMART error on the "known-good" disk-drive, then one must suspect that it's the motherboard that is "flaky" (first reporting that the SSD is bad, and secondly reporting that any other disk-drive is bad).

HP Recommended

>1. Try connecting that disk-drive in another computer (one without a disk-drive), and power it on.

If the SMART is running on the motherboard, and it detects that the disk-drive is signaling "imminent failure", then the disk-drive really is "bad".

I don't have another system to use for testing that disk-drive

>2. Try connecting a "known-good" disk-drive into the "failing" computer, and power it on.

If the SMART is running on the motherboard, and it reports a SMART error on the "known-good" disk-drive, then one must suspect that it's the motherboard that is "flaky" (first reporting that the SSD is bad, and secondly reporting that any other disk-drive is bad).

I replaced the 16GB SSD with a 33GB  SSD.  I pushed f10 repeatedly until I got into the HP set up utility.  I ran a DPS self test on the new 32GB disk-drive and it passed!!  Now????

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.