Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-a114
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My DVD-RW Drive (Ultra Slim Tray SuperMulti DVD Burner drive) has ceased functioning. I'm not sure how to find a compatable replacement. Is this something I can pick up locally? Last time I replaced one they all looked prety much the same. I'm not sure what I should be looking for and can't seem to find any info. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@odibex,

Thank you for your inquiry.  It's a pleasure to assist you with this request.

Your computers DVD-RW drive is part number 849055-6C0.   Here is an example.   You can use the part number in any search engine to price the unit elsewhere.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

You will need an ultra slim DVD burner SATA type with 9.5mm thickness.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you gentleman for your timely replies. I guess there's a minor discrepancy in your answers that I'd like to follow up on. Searching the part number as per Dean's suggestion I found one made by HP, and my computer model number is listed at the bottom as being compatible. The one at NewEgg erico linked is made by Sony and there's no compatibility listed, but it would be $6.50 cheaper. Since Dean said I should use the part number to find one (which isn't listed on the Sony one) I thought I should double check to make sure the Sony would be OK. Otherwise, you know, $6.50 isn't a huge amount, but I'd like to save if I can.

And thanks again to both of you, I spent at least an hour trying to find this out on my own.

HP Recommended

The Ultra slim optical drive type is a footprint, much like ATX , ITX and micro-ATX motherboards are. 

I found the dimensions of the disk that I suggested and it shows the thickness at 12.7mm.

I withdraw the recommendation of that particular disk.

I suggest going with the drive that @wb2001 posted, since the dimension matches the originally installed optical disk.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Haha, well, ya kinda lost me with the acronyms there, but it's always refreshing when someone admits a mistake on the internet. At an rate, the drive seems to functioning again. It still won't play several discs it was playing a couple days before (which is what led me to believe it wasn't working), so I may need to replace it at some point. At least I know how to do that now. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi, I received my drive today and after having some trouble installing it (which I attributed to the fact that I was winging, it due to not being able to find a tutorial for my model computer anywhere), when I noticed the drive  I as replacing was HP PN#: 762433-800, which, if that's the part number (closest thing I could find), then I was recommended and bought the wrong part (849055-6C0, the one suggested by Dean in the first response). Which would explain why it looked a bit different. I'm not entirely sure if this a compatability issue, or a not being able to find installation instructions issue.

HP Recommended

If it was compatible it should have just  easily slid right on into the slot. I didn't see it before, but this topic was discussed in the followint thread in 2015.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-550-153na-re...

HP Recommended

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So, that number I listed that was on the old drive? That's the part number? Because, like I said, that's not the one I was told to buy.

HP Recommended

It appears to be a good number. I see it offered for sale at vendors.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.