Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need to run SATA controller(s) in AHCI mode. According to this document

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00814591

it should be possible to switch SATA emulation between IDE and AHCI. I searched once, twice, three times for SATA emulation in the BIOS settings (version 2.09) but could not find this option anywhere. Any hints/possibilities to get AHCI mode for my HP PC? Many thanks in advance.

Gerry

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Gerry:

According to the setup manual, there is a setting.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01314835/c01314835.pdf

Please see page 6--SATA Emulation.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply, it is exactly what I am looking for, but it does not appear in my BIOS setup. Either its specification for the dc5700 PC has changed, or version 2.09 has a serious bug.

Please verify, thanks!

Regards, Gerry

HP Recommended

Hi, Gerry:

If it's not there, I don't know what to tell you. I would have no way of verifying, as I don't own a dc5700.

I know the setting is there on a dc7700, and that is the only PC I have access to that comes close to the dc5700.

I would say there is something wrong with that BIOS version.

Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you one more time for your reply and your time. I did some research on another dc5700 machine to find out that it is not possible to set any SATA emulation, neither in version 2.09 nor in any other 2.xx versions.

Then I came across this site

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00819525&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

and the following statement from HP:

For dc5700 Systems
dc5700 systems have 4 SATA ports numbered 0, 1, 4, and 5.

SATA ports 0 and 1 are set to Legacy Mode IDE emulation and can be accessed from DOS. However, SATA ports 4 and 5 operate in Native Mode IDE and cannot be accessed from DOS. The dc5700 BIOS does not allow changing the SATA Emulation mode.

I will try to connect the SATA drives with the ports which run in native mode and see if and how that works. I let you know as soon as I can.

Regards, Gerry

HP Recommended

Hi, Gerry:

That is very interesting...

So, the setup manual is wrong, and they may have just copied the info from the dc7700's setup guide.

Looking forward to hearing back from you with the results.

Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I moved my devices from ports SATA0/SATA1 to SATA4/SATA5. So far everything works well, but it seems that, unfortunately, "Native Mode" for the dc5700 does not imply any AHCI functionality. :Crying:

On a more positive note, performance seems to be much better when running "SATA Native Mode". I guess there is less overhead now than in "Legacy Mode". This is a great benefit and relief for me.

On the other hand I recommend that HP revise documentation(s) for the dc5700 model and state that it is not possible to set AHCI mode, as it took me some hours to find out.

However, thank you for your time!

Regards, Gerry

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gerry.

I'm glad you got it to run better in SATA native mode than legacy IDE.

The transfer rates must be better.

Best regards,

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.