Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, Shabby ~ I can't believe I'm posting all over the HP boards today because it might be like the blind leading the blind, but I just recently took an older machine back to factory original settings (via HP Recovery Manager) and now I'm downloading all the updates and drivers.

I, too, got this error code when running diagnostics and understand I might need to replace the harddrive any moment. In the meantime, since I have no data files on it yet (nothing to lose), I'm just bringing it up to speed.

While downloading and installing drivers for this machine (I'm saving them all to CD, in case the drive fails while I'm in the middle), I noticed an update that might also be available for your machine. It was to correct an issue where a new drive will not accept even discs sent out from HP, when a harddrive is replaced. Can't remember which category it was in, but I'll go look for it and edit this post to include a link. You might want to check your own machine's updates and see if you have something similar.

Now to figure out how post the link...

For My PC

Go to the page for your PC and see if you have something similar.

HP Recommended

SMART Short Self Test Failed (Error Code HD521-2W)

HP Recommended

I'm curious to know what Sneding intended to say...

As an update to my own post re this SMART test failure, I wanted to give an update. In my research for this issue when it first appeared as a problem for me, I read somewhere (?) that this was not always an indicator that the drive was failing, but not to be surprised if/when it did. The article/post also said to just use the drive until it failed, but to be sure you backed up everything frequently.

I've done this. I make full backups of my drive often, but have continued to use the machine as if nothing ever happened to it. I have a brand new harddrive, waiting to be installed just in case this one goes, but it's been eight months since I restored this machine (and since I first got that error message) and I use it daily. I never forget that the drive could fail, so I am diligent about my backups, but my computer works like a dream.

Based solely on my own experience, I'd say buy a new harddrive and just keep it on hand "against the day", but backup everything constantly until your current drive fails.

HP Recommended

If I believed in being jinxed, which I don't, I'd think I jinxed myself by posting what I did on the 2nd of this month. LOL. It started giving me trouble ten days later. I put it through another System Restore and this time, ran chkdsk /r on it to isolate and sequester any bad sectors, then also ran SeaTools for DOS on it, to repair any others that chkdsk might not have found. It passed the tests, after repair.

However, the process wasn't flawless and I'd like to give anyone reading this a heads up. DO NOT rely on the HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7) to backup your data before performing a restoration to factory conditions. I think it wrote the backup successfully (4 DVDs for me), but trying to get those same data files restored to their original locations has been a bear. If you'd like to see what others have run into, conduct a search on here for "Restoring my backed up files". Apparently, mine is not an isolated incident.

So. Use a different program to back up your files before restoring your computer, to be safe. I'm having to restore to factory conditions again, just to see if getting back the original version of Recovery Manager (the one I made the back up under) will ease the restoration process. Luckily, I haven't loaded my computer up yet with the programs I put on it the first time, so it should go a lot faster.

If you're having a SMART test failure, try running SeaTools (DOS version worked for me when the Windows version wouldn't) and let that program repair any bad sectors. It's worth a try.

HP Recommended

I am not sure if this is even open still but this will help someone I am sure. This error can be caused by various image software i.e. Daemon Tools. I would suggest uninstall any virtual drives you have installed on the system and run the test again.

HP Recommended

Thanks for adding to the thread, Azrabane. I'm sure every little bit of help... helps. 

I'll add another one myself: A good reliable program to unzip the .wim files HP Recovery Mgr Backup and Restore creates is called 7-Zip and has a free version.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.