Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Community, need a little assist.  Here is my set up

TouchSmart 520-1070 w/

Windows 7 - 64 bit

Windows Media Center

AverMedia A323 MiniCard Hybrid ATSC

Cox Communications Cable

No cable box (straight out of the wall)

This is a replacement of my Slimline s5260F which contained a Hauppauge ATSC and NTSC TV tuner.  I have input my cable and am attempting to tune my channels, however, following the scan for channels, the return is that there are no stations.  I have attempted to set up manually on different settings to try and pick up a signal, but to no avail. 

My previous card could pick up the analog channels as well as some of the standard HD channels for the big (CBS, NBC, ABC).  Again, no cable box, just straight out of my wall into the computer.  To my great surprise, that tuner card, even picked up some of the channels such as ESPN, CNN, Discovery (not HD, but still).  I attribute this to the cable company actually having a digital signal into my home, but not having the box would keep me from seeing these channels.  I really don't care if I don't see those with my new TouchSmart.

However, I can't even get a standard analog setup.  It will pull down the guide in Media Center which then identifies that I have a Clear QAM digital signal.  I run the channel setup and nothing comes back.  All I get even on the non-HD channel is some of the audio and then just scrambled signal.  If I go back an manually set up with just an analog signal, it doesn't change a thing, so I'm kind of at a lose.  I have digital quality signal but no way to pick that up and I can go back to my standard analog channels. 

Does someone know the work around where I don't have to: 1) lay out more money for an adaptor for my computer to decode the digital signal, or; 2) have to pay a cable company to install a cable box and start paying more money to watch digital TV.  All I'm really looking for is to record a few shows from the major networks. 

Regards and thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Compute_This:

Sorry body your TV tuner will not work period no mater what you do. Please read this full article at the very bottom of it is the collusion from tuners company. http://www.fathsoft.com/support/index.php?a=5&cat=2&tid=923 

I would take it back and get my money back. If not able to that then put it on line and sell it to some one outside of USA. They can use it because they are still using Anog. TV signals. Here is one that is supose to work least that is what it says in detail information on this page. http://www.antonline.com/p_MTVHVMXSK-NX_751196.htm?sID=NX Here is another one to veiw. Specks for it at bottom of page This one includes FM tuner as well. http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-16gb-datatraveler-109-usb-2-0-flash-drive-black-and-white/225557322... Most of the tv tuners I searched won't work on windows 7 computers and are for Anlog TV like the one you have. These are the only two I could find that say they are HDTV for windows 7. I went and checked all they had listed for pc tv tuners. Read costomers reviews if it was listed. You do same and save your self  money and headaches. Your welcome frrw. I would have posted this sooner how ever I was still researching there where alot tv tuners listed.

HP Recommended

Thanks frrw.  I appreciate the research and confirming what I suspected.  This is a bummer.

HP Recommended
Don't be totally bummed... I have a TouchSmart 600 with the exact same tv tuner built in. On Windows 7 64-bit, Media Center works great - picks up both analog and digital channels. On Windows 8 Consumer Preview with Media Center, however, doesn't work as well... Media Center only finds the analog channels...

But hey, Windows 8 is just experimental (sorta), so I don't expect it to work perfectly!

Anyway... my cable company is Charter, there may be an answer out there somewhere that addresses your cable provider.

Good luck!

Dave

Compute_This wrote:

Thanks frrw.  I appreciate the research and confirming what I suspected.  This is a bummer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.