12-14-2014 10:31 AM
Okay. I have a Patriot S-Mini 32GB flash drive that my Windows 8.1 HP Slimline 400-434 is not recognizing. I believe it recognized it once, and has refused to do so since. My laptop (Windows 7 Toshiba) recognizes it just fine.
All other USB devices function perfectly on this computer. USB mouse/keyboard/USB Hub/Apple iPhone cable.
1. I have tried unplugging all other USB devices before trying this one. FAIL
2. I have gone to Device Management and the USB drive does not appear in the list. FAIL
3. I have uninstalled the USB Root Hubs and restarted the computer. FAIL
4. I have tried plugging the USB drive into the rear ports that plug directly into the motherboard. FAIL
5. I have updated the drivers, and have been unable to find a BIOS update as the link on the HP website downloads and says that it is incompatible for my computer. FAIL
...so what the bloody gorram heck do I do now?
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-14-2014 11:05 AM
Okay, and in the most ridiculous way I have ever solved a technical problem...
The USB flash cannot be inserted ALL the way into the port. It has to be inserted slowly, so that the contacts line up.
I figured this out by trying to connect it into my USB hub and noticing that the red indicator light was going on and off as I inserted the USB drive, flickering on as I inserted it and then off once it was all the way in.
Weird. But hey. It works now.