Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Okay.  I have a Patriot S-Mini 32GB flash drive that my Windows 8.1 HP Slimline 400-434 is not recognizing. I believe it recognized it once, and has refused to do so since. My laptop (Windows 7 Toshiba) recognizes it just fine. 

All other USB devices function perfectly on this computer. USB mouse/keyboard/USB Hub/Apple iPhone cable.

1. I have tried unplugging all other USB devices before trying this one. FAIL

2. I have gone to Device Management and the USB drive does not appear in the list. FAIL

3. I have uninstalled the USB Root Hubs and restarted the computer. FAIL

4. I have tried plugging the USB drive into the rear ports that plug directly into the motherboard. FAIL

5. I have updated the drivers, and have been unable to find a BIOS update as the link on the HP website downloads and says that it is incompatible for my computer. FAIL

...so what the bloody gorram heck do I do now? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, and in the most ridiculous way I have ever solved a technical problem...

The USB flash cannot be inserted ALL the way into the port. It has to be inserted slowly, so that the contacts line up. 

I figured this out by trying to connect it into my USB hub and noticing that the red indicator light was going on and off as I inserted the USB drive, flickering on as I inserted it and then off once it was all the way in. 

Weird. But hey. It works now. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Okay, and in the most ridiculous way I have ever solved a technical problem...

The USB flash cannot be inserted ALL the way into the port. It has to be inserted slowly, so that the contacts line up. 

I figured this out by trying to connect it into my USB hub and noticing that the red indicator light was going on and off as I inserted the USB drive, flickering on as I inserted it and then off once it was all the way in. 

Weird. But hey. It works now. 

HP Recommended

after much frustation I took your advise and insert the stik slowly and, guess what it worked.

THANKS

HP Recommended

This actually works.

HP Recommended

didn't work for me. and it's not a USB drive that isn't working. they all work. it's the built-in drive.

HP Recommended

Can't believe it was that simple. Sometimes these forums are absolutely awesome. Thanks for the fix

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.