Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

As a part of enabling BitLocker via a SCCM Task Sequence, I am using BIOSConfigUtility.exe (a part of HP System Software Manager Utility 2.14 Rev A) to enable and activate the TPM chips.

On HP Compaq 8200 Elite Convertible Minitower PC’s I experience that when running BIOSConfigUtility.exe to configure the BIOS, I get the following error: 

<SETTING changeStatus="fail" name="Activate Embedded Security On Next Boot" reason="SetBIOSSetting: Success" returnCode="0">

<OLDVALUE><![CDATA[Disable]]></OLDVALUE>

<NEWVALUE><![CDATA[Enable]]></NEWVALUE>

</SETTING>

I use the following config-file for BIOSConfigUtility: 

English

Activate Embedded Security On Next Boot

*Enable

The current setup of the BIOS is (via BIOSConfigUtility /getconfig – only some settings shown):

Embedded Security Device

Device hidden

*Device available

*Disable

Enable

Embedded Security Activation Policy

F1 to Boot

Allow user to reject

*No prompts

OS management of Embedded Security Device

*Enable

Disable

Reset of Embedded Security Device through OS

Disable

*Enable

I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version 2.06.

Does anyone know if this version of the BIOS supports activation of the TPM chip, or if any other condition is missing?

I am able to activate the TPM chip via TPM Management in Windows 7, and the procedure works on older models (7800 – 8100).?

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended

^^^^ I get the same error too but on HPs 6000. Any help would be appreciated on this!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I am a Technical Support Agent for Hewlett-Packard and this thread was brought to my attention by one of my callers today.

He reported a very similar issue on his 8200 Elite SFF units with BIOS version F.06 and above.  He is using the BIOS Config Utility with MDT 2010 during the OS imaging process to turn on the TPM.  The utility is not generating an error message but is not successfully turning on the TPM Module.  The version of the utility he is using is dated Sept 2010 and 2.14.0.8 version.

I am elevating this case to our level 2 support agents for inspection later today and will link to this forum thread in the case to provide more information to our level 2 agents.

If you are experiencing a similar issue with the bios config utility please respond to this thread with a description of the problem, model of computer, bios config utility version, bios version, log files, and any other details you can provide.

DISCLAIMER: Though I am an HP Employee, the views shared by me in the Forum are completely mine and not HP's.
HP Recommended

Hello, good to hear someone is checking that out 🙂

I have the exact same kind of issue with an HP 6000 PRO SFF (Product #: AX351AW#ABC)

I started another thread with the logging I had

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Deskpro-EVO/HP-6000-PRO-can-t-enable-TPM-via-BiosConfigUti...

At the moment of the first post, I had BIOS version 1.14... But I upgraded this morning to 2.01 and it's still doing the same 😞

I copied the BiosConfigUtility.exe and my EnableTPM.REPSET file to C:\ and run the following command C:\>biosconfigutility.exe /setconfig:EnableTPM.REPSET

Please let me know of any developments!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have found a resolution to this issue.  It is a requirement to set the password before any changes to the security settings can be made.  Please make sure you are setting the password and be sure that the the first agrument on the command-line is the /nspswd argument.

BIOSConfigUtility.exe  /nspwd:newpassword  /setconfig:TPMEnable.REPSET

Please let me know if this resolves the issue.  I am curious to know if this information helps.

DISCLAIMER: Though I am an HP Employee, the views shared by me in the Forum are completely mine and not HP's.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I cannot touch the bios at all I tried last two versions of biosconfigutility.exe and i alway get:

BiosConfigUtility.EXE /getconfig:bios.txt

<BIOSCONFIG Version="2.15.0.7" Computername="ST8200-1" Date="2011/08/03" Time="1
6:43:24" UTC="-7" >
<Warning msg="BCU return value" real="16" translated="16" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

Can you please give me any suggestion

HP Recommended

You were right ... i just used the /setconfig switch. One thing that would be good to mention too for others is that you absolutely need to enter a password to activate the TPM (ie : /nspwd:"temppassword") and then, if you don't want a BIOS password, you just have to run a command BiosConfigUtility.exe /nspwd:"" /cspwd:"temppassword" which will set the BIOS password to none, you can't use BIOSConfigUtility.exe  /nspwd:""  /setconfig:TPMEnable.REPSET as it will generate an error.

You need to :

BIOSConfigUtility.exe  /nspwd:"temppassword"  /setconfig:TPMEnable.REPSET which will put temppassword as the BIOS password

And then...

BIOSConfigUtility.exe  /nspwd:"" /cspwd:"temppassword" which will remove the BIOS password..

HP Recommended

Morning gents!

Have followed this thred and completed all the steps for a 6000 Pro.

The BiosConfigUtility gets this config:

Embedded Security Device
 Device hidden
 *Device available
 Disable
 *Enable
Embedded Security Activation Policy
 F1 to Boot
 Allow user to reject
 *No prompts
OS management of Embedded Security Device
 *Enable
 Disable
Reset of Embedded Security Device through OS
 Disable
 *Enable

TPM is still not visible in the system. The chip itself is there. No visible jumpers that can activate it were found.

Any ideas now to enable it? maybe there is a hardware proceedure that i first need to follow to activate the chip?

Many Thanks!

HP Recommended

i'm still getting the same error on an 8200SFF, even with the REV 2.15A of BIOSConfigUtility and most up to date firmware.

i've got plenty of other models working via the cmd:

BIOSConfigUtility.exe /cspwd:temppassword /ADVANCED /SETCONFIG:TPMEnable.REPSET

and yes, even changing the password with cmd:

BIOSConfigUtility.exe /nspwd:newpassword /setconfig:TPMEnable.REPSET

works for other models as well.

but this 8200SFF model just will not change.

HP Recommended

Hy

i have the same problem with 8200 sff, EliteBook 8560p and ProBook 6550b after some changes with the biosconfiguility output is like this

<BIOSCONFIG Version="2.15.0.7" Computername="xxxxxxxx" Date="2012/02/13" Time="19:25:02" UTC="1" >
<WARNING msg="Attempt to change the password, but correct password not provided." />
<Warning msg="BCU return value" real="10" translated="10" />

but the correct pwd is provided. A BiosUpdate can temporarly solve the problem. This problem also appears with the latest BiosRevision.

thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.