Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It looks like you replaced 10600 MHz with 13333 MHz is that correct. If it is its good to know if it works. I am trying to replace my 4gbx2 with 8gbx2and I have always used 10600 MHz. I also want to replace my AMD turionII processor as well.

HP Recommended

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM for more detailed information on the speeds and terminology of DDR3 memory modules.  Note specifically that DDR3-1333 a notation that is equivalent to PC-10600 (seems to me it's so anyway).  Hynix are not particularly good with module info on their website. These two ways of writing the speeds are almost exclusivey used when descibing memory speeds - the others like 'memory clock' barely feature (from what I have seen)  You are often advised not to mix brands - I think maybe in a few cases some do not work together, but apparently HP found that Hynix (which HP often use) and Elpida do.  I have a Kingston module and an unbranded module in my PC and they seem to work (no evidence of not working anyway).  I think that it is more easonable not to mix the viltage of operation of DIMMs.

I think from the P/Ns your 1GB and 2GB DIMMs are the PC-10600 standard, ie they have a data rate of 1333MHz (MT/s = MTransfers per sec ??)[twice the I/O bus speed as operations take place on both the falling and rising edge of this clock - hencethe  term DOUBLE data rate].  They are also marked with the CAS latency numbers.  If you are going to sell them, I advise giving the full P/Ns with legible photos incase of any error in your description. If there is a legible photo. it's unambiguous. 

If you bought Crucial modules after scanning your system, you should have no problem.

HP sold your PC with the standard amount of memory - 3GB - and as there do not (commonly anyway) exist 1.5GB DIMM modules identical dual channel modules cannot be found.  Hence there is no necessity to use modules from the same menufacturer.  Moddules need to be paired to ensure that their timings are precise because dual channel achitecture works by interleaving memory accesses between a pair of DIMMs, eg one byte of the data is written to one module and the next byte is written to other module, wnich means that there is no necessity to wait between successive operations to oe module.  It's often only a marginal increase in speed, especially when memory access is not a speed limiting factor.

Woodwood

3.December.2012

HP Recommended

-> djmeznyc

It would be nice to know if bob's system works after that.  It should.

You could always submit your system to be scanned by Crucial's memory scanner(reads yoursystem data over internet)  or enter your system details into the memory advisors available from www.mrmemory.co.uk. www.crucial.com, www.corsair.com or Kingston.  They will tell you what specs your system can take.

On the other hand if you've always used PC-10600 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM)

stick with that.  Check whether your system (which is....??) can cope with the additional quantity of RAM.  This not the place to discuss upgrading your processor: abnyway you have't given sufficient information 🙂

Woodwood

3.December.2012

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion M9250F 64 bit computer and have windows 7 pro as my operrating system. How much ram can I put on there with the windows 7 pro. I can't seem to find an answer.

currently have 4 (102 mb/ddr2 sdram pc2-6400)

HP Recommended

Paparoark,

If you expand the memory upgrade section on the product specifications page http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01374062 you will find that "Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs" ie 2GB in in each DIMM slot.  This m/b supports up to (not more than) 2GB in each DIMM slot.  It has dual channel architecture whuch means that best speed performance is obtained by by using identical PAIRed DIMMs in each pair of slots (the paired slots are the same colour and are usually called 1 & 3, and 0 & 2) [though this increase in performance is not gross, and personally I have never noticed it at all.  but t does depend on what tasks you are tring to do and where the speed 'bottleneck' is in your PC for that task]

hope this helps

Woodwood
10.December.2012

HP Recommended

Thanks again Woodwood. To answer your question in the follwing post, yes my system now works fine with the Crucial 8GB 1333 MHZ chips. It also sounds like I couild try replacing the 1GB chip in my wife's s5710t pc with the 2GB that I replaced in mine.  The fact that she has 2 chips of different GBs must mean she has dual chanel and it's OK to mix brands.

HP Recommended

bob,

You cannot determine whther your PC has dual channel by looking at the motherboard or the DIMMs that are there.  You can make a good guess if your PC has four DIMM slots.  The fact that your wife's PC had such-and-such memory DIMMs in means nothing as to dual channel arhitecture.

Looking at what I wrote previously, your wife's S5710t does support dual channel mode, and it should work with 1333MHz chips (PC3-10600 standard), it should work with DIMMs and chips from different manufacturers (but there is chance it won't) BUT if the DIMMs are not identical matched pair (at the very least from the mnf, same capacity and same speed) you won't get dual channnel operation  (but this probably won't make much difference).

Mixing brands will ensure you don't get dual channel operation, but I think it's generally ok if you stay within the specs for the PC.  It can be problematic on occasions, I am told.

I wouldn't mix the operating voltage of the memory modules/chips though

If you use differently specified speeds of memory module (DIMM) you will get all memory workng at the slowest speed of ([your computer memory data transfer speed(I'm not specifying this exactly)] OR [DIMM 1] OR [DIMM 2])

I hope that this cear (!) and that I haven't contradicted myself anywhere.

Woodwood
10.December.2012
Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A (Celeron 2.7 GHz) - MSI MS6577 v2.1 - 1.5GB RAM - XP/SP3

HP Recommended

I just bought a Pavilion 2270eo with 4 Gb ram and extra 4 Gb Corsair value ram. The dealer says it's absolutely the right memory for the computer, but I cannot get it to fit in the memory slot. The slot seems too tight and I did more pressing than I felt comfortable with trying to get the memory to fit. What should I do?

HP Recommended

Do not force anything.  If it isn't going in leave it and return to the task in a few hours.  Fittings in computers can be very tight, there is a knack to getting certain things in place which can be acquired (unfortunately) through practice.

If it's easy for you I'd return it to the dealer and ask him to fit it.  If aren't confident with fitting RAM you should have asked asked them to do the job befre you took the items away.

Have you checked the HP video on fitting RAM on the HP webpage for your PC (specifications) ?  They to have the same one for each model of computer.

Finally seek out the HP webpage for you PC as above and delve into Upgrading memory, find the type of memory for your PC and compare with the specifications of the RAM you have been supplied with, especially the number of PINs.  Webchat with Corsair is extremely good.

If you still have problems with this get back to us here.

Woodwood

17.December.2012

HP Recommended

I have read the instructions on how to update the BIOS, but when I enter the BIOS, it will not allow me to actually change any of the memory settings.  

The BIOS lists the four RAM memory banks, and it lists their speed at 1333 mhz.  I need to update this to 1600 mhz.  

However, the only option I have is to "press any key to continue."  

BIOS AMI 8.08

Any assistance would be simply fantastic.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.