Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

->RLopez55

Every specification I can find (I was unable to find out; the operating voltage in your PC, it might be that all PC2-6400 memory operates at 1.8-1.9V [the crucial link given below only only 1.8V DIMMs so you're okay on that] ; and the full CAS latency spec., though this might not matter) matches the memory requirements for your PC, except the HP specifications

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01859813

say "Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs"

The Cucial memory advisor gives here

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario%20CQ5102F&Cat=RAM

the following info

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Slots: 2

I don't know what your information on the m/b is; if your info says "up to 8GB", it is very likely that this memory would work. HP info accessed through the link above says the identical thing.

Additionally, your computer may not be compatible with ths exact design of module. Some brands of module it is known do work in certan machines though the specs appear to match.

Finally, you could try it and see. Smiley Happy

Let us know what you decide and what happened.

I apologise for the uncertainty in my reply.

Woodwood

19.August.2013 

HP Recommended

Okay, I must have clicked Email me when someone replies a long time ago, and this is the most active forum post, I just found so many HP emails from this thread that I set up to automatically go into my HP folder, and there are over 138 messages in that folder now.  Anyway, I am going to now look where I can turn off the replies because I cannot squeeze any more ram into any of my computers, They are all full.  However, it would be great if I could squeeze 32 gb of ram in one of these HP laptops because I am always using over 15gb because of my virtual servers,  it would be nice to be able to run Sharepoint and SystemCenter OpsMgr on at least 8 gb of ram.  I have most of my VMs running with 4gb and I need more but it looks like HP maxes most laptops at 16gb,  If anyone knows if you can squeeze 32 gb in any HP laptops let me know, thanks

HP Recommended

I have an HP ML350, G6 that currently has 22 G of RAM installed. (3 -  4Gb
Dimms and 5 -  2Gb Dimms) I would like to get it up to 32 Gb by kepping the 4Gb dimms and adding 3 - 8GB dimms to the configuration. Is this the best combination (cost wise)?  

HP Recommended

Hello, I have an SR5019UK and have recently bought extra ram. I have a double sided 2GB stick that is only showing up as single sided. Is this due to me having a 32bit system? On the HP website my max ram is 32bit 4GB, and 64bit 8GB.

I havent been able to find out much about this but i'm hoping to eventually fully upgrade my model to its maximum possible  -   Win7-64bit, 8GB RAM with an  AMD6800+

Thanks in advance for your time...

HP Recommended

-> allugr81

Hello and welcome to the HP forum

To ensure we're all singing from the same hymn sheet I have HP's spec. sheet as

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00892923

i.e. doc number c00892923

The first thing that occurs to me to say is "I don't know what the problem is" - there shouldn't be one.

It probably is NOT because you have a 32-bit OS, unless you are trying to put more than 4GB total RAM in.  Even you have 4GB total, your 32-bit system will not be able to use all of that (about 3.5GB, but I don't know which 3.5GB !!).

A hardware analysis program such as speccy or HWINFO will tell you how the memory is functioning and distributed, and even the maker, in your machine. 

Have you checked that your new 2GB DIMM (memory card) is the same density RAM as  the other(s) ? I think it should be low density, and you should also check that the other specs are one of those in the HP spec document (PC2-4200, PC2-5300, PC2-6400 [all DDR2 of course]). (Ideally the new module will be same speed as the original one(s), but often this is not necessary - mixing DIMM speeds occasionally causes problems but often the only issue is that your whole memory works at the speed of the slowest DIMM present, if that is a possible one for your system). It should also ideally have the same latency as the original DIMM(s) (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM for more information).  If you have bought memory that is "guaranteed to work" (such as from Mr Memory, Crucial, Corsair, or Kingston), I would discuss the problem with the supplier.  

I think you should tell us about all of the memory in your system, make, model including speed and latency.

Aside from that, you should try your system with only the new 2GB DIMM installed in each slot.

If it fails to show properly in any slot, try one of the original DIMMs in each to see if that shows properly.

Please report back. 

One final thing to say is that I have read that (yes, elsewhere in this very thread !) not every manufacturer's/types of DIMM will work in every system, even if the specifications you look up nominally match, especially if you try mix DIMs from different manufacturers.  This is what I read anyway.

Notes:

Your system MAY perform better if you install memory in "matched pairs" of DIMMs because your system has a dual channel architecture (not doing so will NOT show ant abnormality)

Woodwood

6.October.2013

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

HP Recommended

Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

That is correct that is my model,

I have 2X Crucial 1GB pc2-5300 in the first two slots and a 2GB Kingston PC2-5300 in the third slot.

The Kingston is the module registering as 1GB, and is double sided.

I'm not too sure about latency, I haven't really heard of that before but according to Speccy:

under JEDEC#3 the CAS# Latency is 5, JEDEC#2 its 4, JEDEC#1 is 3... this is the same on my Crucial modules as well.

I was careful to buy the 5300's as when I first bought my Crucial RAM they ended up running at the lower frequency of the stock 512MB that came with the PC.

I'll now turn off and try the Kingston alone to see if this makes any difference, i'll post back shortly...

THANKS!

HP Recommended

Ok problem solved, my bad. I just tried using the kingston module, it still came up as 1GB so I decided to write down the serial number and search for it. It turnes out it's supposed to be 1 of a pair. It's probably my own fault for buying it second hand from a high street retailer. It's annoying though as there is 2GB written on the module and I paid for a 2GB...

Thanks so much for your help, i'm sorry I have taken up your time...

allugr81

HP Recommended

->allugr81

That the speed of your new RAM was the speed of your original 512MB DIMM was to be expected.  But when you were using your PC, did it's presence make a noticeable difference to the things you were doing ?

I think speccy gives two sets of readings for each DIMM....

But with 2 x 1GB + 1 x 2GB only it is unhelpful to have it (the 512MB DIMM) there.

Have you bought the recommended part numbers supplied by Kingston/Crucial or their 'value RAM' or some other p/n s ?  On the two machines I run (one of which is slow) it doesn't seem to make any difference who the RAM was made by or which machine it was made for, but this may not be the case for your machine. 

Looking forward with interest to your findigs.

Woodward

6.October.2013 

HP Recommended
best take it back to retailer to check, it might be 1GB of a 2 x 1GB pair ? Have your receipt handy. Or it might just be your machine not recognizing that module/type of module.

Did you in fact search for the p/n (not the s/n) ?

If it has been incorrectly handled it might be damaged, although most likely that cause it not to work at all.

Woodwood
6.October.2013
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'n new to the forum.

I just bought a Hp envy recline 23" with 10G of ram. I wanted to upgrade the ram to 16 G which is the max expandable. However, when I turned the base over, there were quite a number of screws at the bottom. Some had arrows pointing at their location while others had HP seals over them. So question is how does one upgrade the memory modules in this particular model? Take out all the screws including the ones beneath the seal (break warranty?). I'm assuming that upgrading the memory modules requires one to open up the whole base plate and locate where the dimm slots are and replace one of the modules (8+2) and have a 8+8 configuration. The issue seems to be opening up the plate. Most laptops i know have a small plate that's easy to open  just for the memory section.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks.

bert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.