Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

-> bfychew
Bert, it's great when it all works out isn't it ? I'm glad that you're happy with your PC generally, IPS displays are supposed to be better than most (which are of the TN type) but not the very top of the range IIRC
Woodwood 27.October.2013

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Well as far as the slots go the motherboard is printed in the upper left of those slots. From left to right  XMM-1,XMM-2,XMM-3 and XMM-4. I do not know if that means much.other than just labeling them but the two slots on the left are blue and the two slots on the right are black  indicating channels I believe.

I tried using the two 512 mB sticks that came with the machine in slots 1&2, 1&4, A single piece in only slot 2 and then in slot 4.  And I still just get the same beep & a black screen. If slots 2 & 4 never seem to work I'm leaning towards a motherboard issue as well. Not so much the slots them selves because the odds of two malfunctioning are low. And I inspected the back of the motherboard and see no obvious signs such at a burnt section or broken solder. 

I think I may be stuck with just my 2GB ram for a while. If I swap the board Id like to keep the processor and the ram I have But hopefully get a more sophisticated BIOS and an ability to use more than 4GB ram in the future.

HP Recommended

-> MWatts    

Matthew, I forgot to suggest ensuring you have the latest issue of the BIOS.  If not, try updating it.  The instructions for doing this can be found on the HP website, along with the latest version of the BIOS

You might also try resetting the BIOS by removing the coin cell, waiting for a few minutes, and putting the (or even a new, replacement) battery back in. Updating the BIOS if necessary is a standard thing to try, the other suggestions are long shots.

The board layout and a (colour) picture is shown on m/b spec sheet on the HP website

It is extremely unlikely that two slots have malfunctioned or been damaged, I agree with that, especially as two adjacent ones are working.  My thoughts are divided between a hardware issue and a software/firmware problem.  I do not know whether any drivers are needed at the stage of the computer failing to boot, I did not think so...

The beeps definitely indicate a memory problem though (the most common cause being DIMM not inserted properly).

Maybe you should try another forum ?

Woodwood

27.October.2013 

HP Recommended
Yes there is such a feature - 2-channel mode;)
Most computers use a 2-channel memory mode (for its implementation need 2 identical memory strip) said faster with many applications, ceteris paribus.
I was thinking to buy my second HP memory stick, but preferably the same series. I am right in my area .. Tomorrow call the HP let advise reseller
HP Recommended

Hi,

I need to upgrade my interneal memory.

I already have 2x 2gb internal memory installed.

There are 2 slots left.

Should I :

1) buy 2x2 GB and plug it in open slots in comibination with existing memory

2)Buy 1x 4gb and plug it in one slot in comibination with existing memory

3) Buy 2 x 4Gb and plug in open slots in comibination with existing memory

4) Buy 2 X 4gb, and dont use the existing memory

Thanks

HP Recommended
\I have teh P6250NL
HP Recommended

->tan1415

The specifications for your model can be found here

It depends on your operating system.  If it's a 32 bit, your system cannot use more than 4GB of RAM

If you are using the as-supplied operating system (according to the HP specifications) which is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), then the maximum memory your system can support is 16GB.  Your system has four memory slots, and dual channel architecture (slots arranged in pairs) 

As for the answer to your question, it depends on how much you want to spend.  Any of the the combinations you suggest will work.  If you buy two DIMMs, ensure that they form a matched pair . In all cases you  are able to, and should, retain your original memory.  (I am assuming that your original memory forms a matched pair, and occupies either slots (0 and 2 - black I think) or (1 and 3 - blue I think).  If my assumption is incorrect, my recommendation will change ).  If you cannot get a matched pair, your PC will, I believe, work correctly with all memory installed, but it might not be a fast as if you had matched pairs.

Most people would go for 2 x 4GB in addition to what you have (or even remove what you have and replace with 4 x 4GB in two sets of matched pairs).

Please ensure you memory is of specification described in the spec document.  ie DDR3 PC3-10600/PC3-8500 240-pin.  It is best if it's the same speed as any original memory in your machine, it should/may work at the speed of the slowest if you have mixed speeds (but still matched pairs in each pair of DIMMs - I suspect that your PC will not work properly if you use different speed memory in paired slots, but it might)

Woodwood

7.January.2014

HP Recommended

Hi!

I`m using HP 8000 Elite pc with windows 7 64bit and 4Gb of ram. I need more RAM so I decided to buy new RAM memory modules.  I tryed four differenet RAM sets, but with all of them my pc gives RAM error (flashing led during startup). I cant get my pc to work only with original samsung 2x2Gb ram modules. HP8000 elite convertible mini tower should support up to 16Gb of RAM. Why I can`t use other ram modules that original samsung and is it possible to resolve this problem somehow?

RAM memoryes what I tryed:

CORSAIR DDR3 1600MHz 16GB 4x4GB DIMM CML16GX3M4A1600C9B)
Kingston DDR3 HyperX Blue PC3-10600 1333MHz (KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) (F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz 4x4 DDR3 (BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU)
All of them are giving same problem during startup (flashing LED).

HP Recommended

Hi Highlander216

I couldn't find a useful specifications document for your PC, and anyway it is of a user-configurable type.  If you could direct to a spec. document concerning memory upgrade, everyone would find this useful.  Or, you could give the exact model number.

I did find this however:

on this webpage (p.11)

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13424_na/13424_na.PDF

it states

"The Q45 chipset Graphics Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) supports DDR3 memory technology up to a

maximum of 1066 MHz. Therefore, systems configured with PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) memory DIMMs

will operate at 1066 MHz."  (the Q45 chipset is commin to all 8000 series pcs I think)

Some of the memory you have selected is 1600MHz speed, and this makes no mention of that.

[edit: but that document also says "Supports up to 16 GB of DDR3 SDRAM using DIMM modules. Slot 1 is black and must always be populated"]

Have you used the Crucial, Kingston or Corsair "memory configurators" ? (memory finding programs), or consulted with their support  services on this ?

Woodwood

13.January.2014

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.