Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

These ports on my s5380f are covered and the covers say Do not remove. The screws or rivets are easily removable. Why should they be covered and if the caps are removable, how do you do it?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Typically the motherboard graphics ports are covered when there is an graphics card installed. This is to prevent the attempted use of the motherboard graphics which are disabled when a graphics card is installed.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can those ports be activated if there is a graphics card installed? Because I could use the extra port for another screen?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I had the same problem

I left my DVI cable in storage and only had aVGA handy.  I came to this website to find the answer. Based on tech support's response, and since I didn't have an adaptor handy, and it didn't seem to work when I tried using a cheap HDMI cable; I decided to temporarily bypass the graphics card upgrade.  I couldn't just change the BIOS because I had no way to monitor the signal from the graphics card. To use the motherboard's video signal using VGA port:

remove the upgrade graphics card screw and the coverplate from the side of the desktop,

remove the old graphics card (keep in a dust-free ziploc)

remove the "do not remove" cover plate from the VGA port of the original graphics card desktop and

plug the VGA cable into the computer and monitor VGA ports.

The screen will come up 800x600, change the display resolution by right clicking the desktop for "graphics properties" or "screen resolution" and follow the menus. It will tell you that the AVI card is not available, just click <OK>, Adjust the resolution to the native resolution of your monitor, <OK> to the changes and it will make you restart but you'll be able to use the VGA port.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you want to use the motherboard video ports then remove the video card.  The motherboard ports are covered "do not remove" when there is a video card installed to avoid confusion.  When the bios detects the presence of a video card then the motherboard video ports are disabled.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

You can't use the motherboard port as an extra monitor port but if your graphics card has HDMI and DVI, you can remove it to use the HDMI+VGA combination built into your motherboard.  (It worked for me).  There really is no reason to use the Motherboard graphics card if you have a graphics card and the correct cables/adapters.  Using the motherboard video drains from your computer's performance.  I just needed a quick solution to my lack of HDMI & (working)DVI cable problem.  I thought I would share it so that the next person wondering if he/she could do what I did would know you can.

HP Recommended

Hi Julio,

Do you want to tell us what you are trying to accomplish? 

Can you tell us what video card is installed in your PC?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Sorry i have the same problem

the dvi port is covered i have no other one

can i remove him now?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.