Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6000 Pro All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a HP Compaq 6000 Pro All-in-One with onboard video.  Video is Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset.

I purchased the Compaq optional accessory video card p/n 628380-001 AMD Radeon HD 5570 1GB

Original problem was that when installed I got 4 beeps and no video.  Research indicated that the standard 150w power supply was insufficient.  Need optional 180w power supply.

Ordered new 180w power supply.  Installed card, attached new power suppy, Test.

There is no boot screen.  The screen remains blank when I tried to boot up the PC.  Good news is no more beeps.

I did not observed any specific video configuration in BIOS setup.

Is there a jumper on the board that needs to be set, or did I miss something in the BIOS settings?

Thanks,
Marc

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Marc:

In addition to the MXM video card, you also need the heat sink that goes on top of it.

According to the parts list that is not a spare part you can order. See page 2, miscellaneous parts.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4210074&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03...

I don't know how long it takes to fry the graphics chip on the video card without the heatsink installed, but one person on this forum stated it would be almost immediate, and he is very knowledgable.

Personally, I find that hard to believe but...

HP Recommended

The PC never even ran the BIOS boot sequence.  No text on screen.  No way the card could fry that quickly.  We are talking 15-30 seconds here.  Every attempt to reboot is the same results.

But at least the 180W power supply did turn out to solve the beeping problem.

But to re-ask the original question, should this video card be automatically detected by BIOS,  or are there BIOS settings to change?  I could not find any related to video.

And secondly, if not automatically detected, are there any jumpers to set?

I'll work on finding a heat sink. 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes, the onboard video is automatically disabled when you install the MXM card.

Yes, the PC automatically recognized the MXM card, which is why you got the 4 beep overloaded power supply notification.

There are no jumpers or BIOS settings to change.

The only jumpers referenced in the service manual pertain to the password jumper, and the jumper for configuring the hard drive (which is not applicable to your model).  I tried to find the green password jumper location on the motherboard for your PC, by blowing up the illustration in the parts and service map, and can't see it.  It is normally located near the yellow clear cmos button.

Did you first uninstall the onboard Intel graphic adapter and check the uninstall driver box before installing your new video card?  Though if you are not getting any video at all, that probably wouldn't be the issue either.

So, under the circumstances I have no idea why the video card isn't working, since we both are under the impression it could not have possibly fried in such a short amount of time--but there is a chance we could both be wrong about that.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Huffer :

Steve:

Can you please take a look at this discussion, and give us your opinion as to the possibility of the MXM card's GPU frying immediately upon boot with no heat sink installed?

Wouldn't one see the HP welcome screen, etc., even for a few seconds before it fried?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

I did say it would fry very quickly but it would be at least a few seconds. One other possibility is that the BIOS is set so that the system will not boot to the video card unless a fan/heatsink unit is plugged into a header. Does this video card use a second fan for the video card or just a solid metal heatsink? The last thing I would check is the BIOS. There will usually be a setting for the default boot display and the option for the MXM card might not come up until one is installed. 

HP Recommended

Hi,, Steve:

From what I can tell from the service manual, the fan/heatsink is just like the one for a notebook PC.

So, it is very possible that whatever powers the fan on the heatsink could have a sensor to detect an MXM graphics card, since they are two separate parts with different part numbers.

The fan/heatsink that goes with the MXM card must be larger and longer to cover where the MXM card plugs into.

HP Recommended

Found a part number for the heat sink:
http://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c02268910

Heat sink (thermal module), MXM graphics
625255-001

Will see if I can find one somewhere.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.