Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hey everyone

I have a HP 6000 Pro, I run vmware on it all day long no issues, however the last night i tried to fire up a vm of CentOS (Linux build 64 bit) and got an error about the pc not running Intel-Vt x, vmware said the host (this machine) does support it though

I traced the processor chip to 

http://ark.intel.com/products/41495/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E7600-3M-Cache-3_06-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

and it shows it does indeed support the technology needed to run the vmware

I checked my bios settings in windows and they are showing as 

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 786H8 v01.07, 7/18/2011

When i went into the BIOS i was unable to locate any setting to activate the virtualization technology, when i downloaded a tool from Microsoft it said the technology was not enabled

Can anyone help here, I would like to run this vm OS without issues!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is in the BIOS. It just isn't easy to find amidst all of the other features. Click on the Security tab and then choose System Security. 

buried feature.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

How about clarifying a few things.

1) It isn't quite clear which PC you have. You referenced two different models in your post.

2) What is the installed CPU?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Sorry the full computer name is 

System Model HP Compaq 6000 Pro AiO Business PC

HP Recommended

It is in the BIOS. It just isn't easy to find amidst all of the other features. Click on the Security tab and then choose System Security. 

buried feature.png

HP Recommended

Wow really my BIOS looks nothing like that, ill check now

rebooting.....

HP Recommended

wow it was hiding, very tricky, the vm is loading now, hopefully we dodged a bullet!

thanks so much for the help!

HP Recommended

You are quite welcome!  🙂

HP Recommended

how do i give you thumbs up, i click the purple thumb but nothing happens, you were very helpful

HP Recommended

I can confirm that the same BIOS settings does the trick for HP ProDesk ‑ 600 G1 - Core i5 ‑ 4 GB RAM ‑ 500 GB HDD; HP part number -- E1Z74UT#ABA

Thank you!

HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.