Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario CQ5726F

Windows 7 64-bit

I need to add additional RAM since the HD is crunching like crazy all the time and performance is too slow.  The manual and spec sheets don't really help and are actually quite misleading.  Has anybody installed 2 x 8GB and gotten it to work? Anybody at least tried 2 x 4GB?  More?  Which specific parts did you use?

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Here are the M2N68-LA (Narra6) motherboard specs for your Compaq CQ5726F desktop computer. According to those specs the system supports the following;

Dual channel memory architecture

Two DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets

PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)

PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs

Based on this information, your system supports a maximum of 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

As I said, that information is misleading.  It supports 2 x 2GB DDR2 DIMMs. 

Does not say anything about DDR3.  It would not make sense for this new a motherboard to ONLY support 4GB RAM.  Especially since Kingston has a 4GB piece of RAM specific for it (which is over 2GB limit you are proposing).

HP Recommended

The reference to DDR2 is a typo on HP's part... the motherboard takes DDR3 memory. I was unable to locate the CQ5726F on the Kingston website... only a CQ5700F which uses a completely different motherboard and will provide inaccurate information for your system. From a search of the Crucial website for your CQ5726F;

Part #: CT1902176  4GB kit (2GBx2)

Part #: CT1902170  2GB

However, things get hazy if you click on the HP - Compaq Presario CQ5726F link near the bottom of each memory upgrade. HP lists the chipset as "NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430" but Crucial lists it as "AMD 760G"... so use the Crucial System Scanner or read this Crucial FAQ and return the memory if it doesn't work.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi,

Frank's information is correct.  HP does have a typo.

Narra6 memory.jpg

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I have this same motherboard M2N68-LA But Im not sure if I have the Narra6 edition, anyway, I have 2 DDR2 6400U memory modules in this machine now. I had a AMD Phenom II X 4 B93 Processor in for a while as well, but I removed the Phenom X 4 processor because I thought it was a waste seeing as the memory only went to 2 or 4 GBs.  I in less then an hour will again try ddr3 memory, but if I remember correctly, this motherboard I have will not support DDR3 of any kind of memory.

HP Recommended
I have 2 1 GB DDR2 Memory installed currently.
HP Recommended
The manual for the M2N68-LA says this has a AM3 socket as well, but I cant remember what socket it has. I will have to check.
HP Recommended

I just looked at 2 memory modules of DDR2 5300 512 MB, and lined them up to my DDR3 2000 MHz memory and they both only have one notch in them, but the notch did not line up. Hp has to be wrong stating that this motherboard I have uses DDR3 memory. But again I also had a AMD Phenom II X 4 B93 socket AM3 processor in it. I actually have this processor in the computer I am typing on now. 

HP Recommended
I will check tonight or tomorrow to make sure this is a AM3 Motherboard......
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.