Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 251-a110z HP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recieved a message that I had an update for "Essential System Update for Microsoft windows 10"

I clicked to accept the update. It tried to update, then I got this message:
"Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or greater needs to be installed for this installation to continue!

I went to the HP downloads page but I can't find that framework anywhere?? Anyone know where it is?

You can find my books at author.to/SusanHawthorne
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I discovered that microsoft.net framework 3.5 sp1 is on my computer, but not turned on. I have Microsoft.net framework 4.6 advanced.
I turned on 3.5, i got a stop message and had to restart the computer, then 3.5 was turned back OFF.
So why is HP giving me an update that needs an OLD version of something I have and that can't be  turned on?

HP Recommended

Greetings @Meenie50,

Thanks for the post, I understand that you are unable to install .net Framework and update Essential System update for Windows 10. Happy to help. 

Have you tried to update Windows again using settings from the Windows menu/button?

.Net Framework updates are regularly released as a Windows update by Microsoft. 

If it is not getting installed, you can download it directly from Microsoft website. Click here for assistance. 

Let me know if those steps worked for you. 

If they did, that’s awesome! 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I have net framework 4.6.
The essentials for win 10 update says it needs an OLDER version of net framework (3.5 sp1)
That older version is on my computer, but turned off, apparently when HP loaded my computer and put on 4.6.
I tried turning on the older version, but the computer wouldn't allow that.
HP Recommended

Hi @Meenie50

Thank you for posting back.

I would like to inform you that there will be few software's which need an older version of .net framework.

As you have mentioned that you already have that installed on your computer, I recommend you to uninstall it and restart the computer.

Download .net frameworks from the below link and install it.

http://hp.care/2hvxnen

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was so confused with all this, I had to walk away for awhile.
So let me get this straight in my head
When I try to install the latest Essential system update, I get the error message that it needs Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 OR GREATER.
I HAVE greater... 4.6.
but you're telling me I need to REMOVE the greater one and install an older one (3.5) in order to install this NEW update for windows 10?
Why? and won't this make other things unstable? Why would they make a new update that needs an old version of something ??

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Please do uninstall the new version installed on our computer, restart the computer and do a Windows update to get it back on the computer through the update. If the issue persists, you can empty the temporary files folder and try again. If the issue persists, please perform a recovery. 

To clear the temporary files, follow the procedure mentioned below. 

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).

Restart the computer again. 

Install all Windows updates and check. 

For assistance in performing a recovery, click here

Let me know if this helps. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.